It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
DOOM 3 - Resurrection of Evil Preview DOOM 3 - Resurrection of Evil Preview
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DOOM 3 - Resurrection of Evil Preview

Old 6th January 2005, 23:15   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default DOOM 3 - Resurrection of Evil Preview

How much more can this expansion pack rip-off other games?

Quote:
here's another new weapon that might raise a few eyebrows: the Ionized Plasma Levitator, also called the Grabber. It performs a function similar to that of Half-Life 2's gravity gun, taking advantage of DOOM 3's advanced physics system to let you pick up objects, move them around, and even use them as weapons. If you've played Half-Life 2, you'll find a few differences: you can grab projectiles from enemies and fling them back, or even pick up small enemies and toss them at each other.
Quote:
The first Hunter has an ability called "Hell Time," where everything in the world but you slows down. There's an obvious parallel to "bullet-time" from the Matrix movies and the Max Payne games, although Hooper points out that it's not quite the same, since your character still retains his normal movement speed. "You have complete freedom of movement -- you can dance around fireballs, or run up and peg creatures with a shotgun blast.
Preview at Gamespy: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/doom-3-resu.../577592p1.html

Quote:
it's a good bet that the line for this trip back to Hell is already forming.

No offence, but I do NOT want to go back into the "Dig Site" levels, they were boring in my humble opinion and not well done. The Hell levels were kinda cool, but if they were going for weird, then "Alice" still does it 100 times better.

a few extra monsters, 2 weapons and new HELL level based maps won't make this game better then the original; if the original HAD included these, then maybe.. still.. after playing through countless other FPS games, the gameplay from Doom3 should be dead and burried, it was fun once, surely, back in '90; Either you do it to the extreme (think Serious Sam) with the carnage and mindless killing, or include actual innovating gameplay elements and levels (think Far Cry and Half Life2);

you won't see me buying this, I played Doom 3 once; then uninstalled it and never looked back.
Old 7th January 2005, 14:27   #2
xpr-k

Well i for one cant wait for the expantion . DOOM³ was a very worthy sequel in the series . Kept true to the style and creepyness just like announced.
Anyone who was disappointed either hasnt played doom1&2 or forgot whats it about .
Old 7th January 2005, 14:33   #3

The Senile Doctor Freshly Registered

the repetition caused the 'scare' to die.
The Senile Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2005, 14:46   #4
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally posted by xpr-k

Anyone who was disappointed either hasnt played doom1&2 or forgot whats it about .
I played and loved Doom 1 & 2 , Ultimate Doom and GLDoom; on my 486 DX2/66 with 8Mb ram.

I played it this summer also WinDoom in multiplayer, great fun; however.. Doom 3 although great fun at first, quickly boils down to a boring experience. the scary and creep factor does not remain throughout the game, it's become very repetitive, there is no real challenge in killing any of the monsters.

at least Doom 1&2 had enough monsters to keep you busy; Half Life 2 has good AI, Far Cry had wide open spaces + decent AI. Doom 3 has narrow hallways, dumb AI, very small number of monsters.

= no fun
Old 7th January 2005, 19:54   #5
xpr-k

not here to argue over taste , just wanted to show different people got different opinions cause the initial post was very biased and doesnt give the game any credit and face it it was one of the best games to come out this year together with farcry .
The reason most found doom³ repetetive was cause they tried to finish it in a few days . I took me dunno how many sessions spread over more then 5 weeks to finish doom³ and i was pissing my pants front to back =] .
I do agree the enemys were a little on the weak side cause i did it on veteran and hardly ever needed more then 1 reload to get to the next bit, but the atmos throughout the game made up for that flaw imo . If the just had a little more speed and agility things would be perfect.
Maybe hl2 is better, dunno havent tried it, i hate spyware so anything valve does is out. There not gonna force steam up my arse. Tried the demo but wasnt to impressed then got very annoyed the next day when i started my computer saw steam autostarting and spamming my desktop with some advert about an update or who knows what so the demo got deleted pretty fast . How you guys put with it i dunno...
Old 7th January 2005, 20:05   #6
Madshrimp

it took me 4 weeks to finish Doom 3.. your argument is moot

you haven't played HL2, well, until you do, you have not played game of the year 2004 yet

Steam is quite cool in my humble opinion, you can disable auto-start in a flash, choose what games it should update automatically or manually, and basically removes the hassle of checking if you have right version.

how many point releases were there again for Quake 3?
Old 7th January 2005, 20:09   #7
xpr-k

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
it took me 4 weeks to finish Doom 3.. your argument is moot

you haven't played HL2, well, until you do, you have not played game of the year 2004 yet

Steam is quite cool in my humble opinion, you can disable auto-start in a flash, choose what games it should update automatically or manually, and basically removes the hassle of checking if you have right version.

how many point releases were there again for Quake 3?

which ****s anyone with no INET straight up the arse , good customer support....
My m8 bought cs:cz which is an online game and its impossible for him to get any updates unless he gets his computer to my house and uses my inet to update . Its a bloody scam for an OFFLINE title
Old 7th January 2005, 20:10   #8
xpr-k

ment offline after cs:cz
Old 7th January 2005, 20:21   #9
Madshrimp

I agree with you on that one, but compare the amount of illegal Doom 3 copies to illegal Half Life 2 leaks..

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/do...s_6103905.html

I know making a game inet only screw a lot of people, but unfortunately it's about the only way to make a game copy-protected; after all they are in the money making bizz, it's not charity
Old 7th January 2005, 22:43   #10
xpr-k

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
I agree with you on that one, but compare the amount of illegal Doom 3 copies to illegal Half Life 2 leaks..

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/do...s_6103905.html

I know making a game inet only screw a lot of people, but unfortunately it's about the only way to make a game copy-protected; after all they are in the money making bizz, it's not charity

boek @ piracy hheheheheheheheeeheheheh