It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Core i7 a waste of money for gamers, says Nvidia Core i7 a waste of money for gamers, says Nvidia
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Core i7 a waste of money for gamers, says Nvidia

Old 24th April 2009, 09:06   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Core i7 a waste of money for gamers, says Nvidia

Intel’s Nehalem architecture might have generated a lot of excitement and rave reviews, but it turns out that Nvidia isn’t that impressed with its impact on gaming performance. In fact, yesterday the company described Intel’s claims about Core i7's gaming performance as “disingenuous” in a presentation to introduce Nvidia’s concept of an optimised gaming PC.
In the presentation, Nvidia’s technical marketing director Tom Petersen said “I have a copy of Intel’s latest deck that they share with press and customers, and on there they have a slide that is called The Intel Core i7 920 Processor, where they claim that gaming performance goes up by 80 percent when you use a Core i7. Now, I was impressed by that claim, and I was trying to figure out how they could possibly say such a thing, and it turns out that Intel is basing that claim on only 3DMark Vantage’s CPU test.”
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-says-nvidia/1
Old 24th April 2009, 09:07   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Didn't NVIDIA work together with 3Dmark to get PhysX to be support for the CPU tests in Vantage? so they are saying that we shouldn't rely on PhysX performance numbers , as this is not actual gameplay?
Quote:
is designed to show CPU difference, it doesn’t actually measure gameplay, it doesn’t actually measure anything about game performance. Sure enough, if you do that test you will see Core i7 running faster, but I think it’s a little disingenuous to call that game performance.
and how exactly is it allowed for a benchmark to let the VGA influence a CPU specific test...
Old 24th April 2009, 09:31   #3
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

In other words, they're both guilty for the same working methods.

Doesn't change the fact though that in this case nvidia is right : i7 does nothing for gaming that core 2 duo or phenom can't deliver.

thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 09:50   #4
Rutar

Most people figured that out the moment the first game benchmarks came out.