It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Apple iPad is like a car without a motor Apple iPad is like a car without a motor
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Apple iPad is like a car without a motor

Old 29th January 2010, 03:56   #11
Kougar

Agree, most of those were just Apple hater stuff, lost the humor.

iPad looks like another Apple TV type product... although maybe it would make for a decent ebook reader?
Old 29th January 2010, 04:45   #12
Kougar

Old 29th January 2010, 10:10   #13
wutske

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgal View Post
Rather "not" funny in my humble opinion, and wrong in some aspects :

- no free internet ? heh ?
- no storage ? (16-32-64 dockable storage cfr. ipods)
- no USB support ? (no slot ues, but support is there)

and some more stupid tags?

Don't get me wrong though, as mentioned before I'm not a fan of iPad either...
The first one comes from 4chan, so don't try taking that one seriously at all
From what I understand, the free internet probably refers to the fact that the 3G model comes with some sort of subscription from one mobile operator (tough I don't know what's wrong with that since most phones have the same restrictions).
The no storage refers to the fact that it doesn't have a built-in SD card reader and that you have to buy a (probably way to expensive) dock SD-reader.
No USB support is wrong as the apple dock connector is more or less a USB port, but you don't have any real USB port at all wich you can use to connect for example your camera or someones USB disk. I'm actually suprised nobody has attempted to make a USB host controller for the dock connector.

Those things are made for fun, but when you compare it to other (even older) tablet pc's it's clear that the iPad is a crippled tablet pc as it can hardly do what a (windows or linux) based tablet pc can (for free).

Last edited by wutske : 29th January 2010 at 10:13.
Old 29th January 2010, 18:38   #14
Wrigleyvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
Why did they even make this device?
Well I can't really argue with your assessment but let's remember plenty of people had similar things to say about the first iPod including Rob Malda of Slashdot.
Old 29th January 2010, 20:57   #15
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

iPod = portable music player
it has a purpose, there were alternatives in the market which were growing in popularity; iPod interface, usability and afterwards integration with iTunes is what made it so successful.

iPad = is netbook with touchscreen, without keyboard, with less features, costs more
I don't really know its purpose...

sure there will be some applications which will work for it wonderfully , but in the larger picture... worldwide, it's not useful to a whole lot of people
Old 29th January 2010, 21:11   #16
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

Zo denk ik er ook een beetje over : http://flyosity.com/ipad/the-ipad-is...one-but-us.php

Enige drawback voor deze users is dat een iPad nog steeds een Mac of PC nodig heeft om te syncen.

thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 08:22   #17
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

forgot one!
http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/167d70800c/the-ipad
Old 30th January 2010, 09:18   #18
[M] Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
Very funny

(Too bad they act like a retard to get the message across, a little unethical maybe ?)

Old 30th January 2010, 10:16   #19
wutske

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgal View Post
Zo denk ik er ook een beetje over : http://flyosity.com/ipad/the-ipad-is...one-but-us.php

Enige drawback voor deze users is dat een iPad nog steeds een Mac of PC nodig heeft om te syncen.
There is some truth in it tough getting an iPhone would still be a better solution.
* Chatting with friends -> prefer a keyboard
* Sending and receiving email -> prefer a keyboard
* Listening to music -> iPod/iPhone does this and the iPad is way too big, could be great to hook up to your stereo tough (with huge, big letters showing the song that's being played right now )
* Watching videos -> dimensions of the screen are great
* Playing games -> playing the games you can also play on an iPhone
* Browsing the web -> size is great

The iPad only excells on 2 out of 6 tasks and all the other tasks can also be done on an iPhone (which does fit in your pocket and which you can use everywhere). The iPad will probably be used at home most of the time and not somewhere else (and on a bus you'll be happy to have a netbook with a hinge so you can put the netbook on your lap and still be able to watch the screen without hurting your neck ).

If people are tired of using their virus-ridden computers and are willing to use another operating system on their tablet/netbook ... then why don't they get themselfs a linux based netbook ?

It's still useless, even for non-powerusers. It's more something you'll see on shows where the hosts are walking around with the iPad and give demos and details about their products on this fancy device.
Old 30th January 2010, 10:40   #20
[M] Reviewer

I agree except for the game part : I think many new kind of games can take advantage of this device and the multitouch capabilities on a larger screen. It can be a lot more than just a blown up iphone/ipod Touch

That said, I've never been a fan of the iphone (or ipod touch) games. I do own a few but got tired of them after a couple of minutes, and regret spending money on them. The screen is just too small, the device too slow (on that front the iPad could do better). If I want to game I'll use a real PC or game console.