It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Antec Sonata II ATX PC Case Antec Sonata II ATX PC Case
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Antec Sonata II ATX PC Case

Old 28th June 2005, 06:59   #1

Sidney Freshly Registered
Default Antec Sonata II ATX PC Case

The highly anticipated update of Antec's Sonata has arrived and promises to be even better than it's predecessor. Can the Sonata II improve upon the award winning Sonata I's style and quiet performance? Lets find out with Futurelooks' WORLD EXCLUSIVE first review of the case.

http://www.futurelooks.com/?m=show&id=156

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 07:31   #2
Faiakes

The case: too ugly, too small for my taste.

The web page: horrid! Each page had tiny piece of information and had to constantly click to go to the next page, over 12 pages for a review with thumbmail pics! That says it all.

I didn't even get to read the whole thing, I got pissed off and closed it.
Old 28th June 2005, 23:00   #3
Firewire

Woh Dude! Take a pill!

First off, thumbnails? I told me editor to use the script to allow large versions of the pics to popup when you click on them, and remind people under each picture sequence to "Click here for a larger picture". I do recall seeing that all there when the article went live so I really don't know what you were looking at.

Second, I hate frickin' long web pages. If I can't get down a page in 4 scrolls of the mouse wheel, it is too long. That's basic web design useability stuff.

Third, yeah, it is a small case, but Ugly, oh gosh... I hope you aren't one of those guys that puts a wing on the back of your front wheel drive car hoping for down force on the WRONG end of the car.

I rest my case...
Old 29th June 2005, 11:52   #4
Rutar

yep, 12 pages with little information are annoying
Old 29th June 2005, 16:02   #5
Firewire

Sorry, but do you call a bunch of LARGE pictures per page information? I betcha dollars to donuts that every page that Alex cranked out had more text in it than some reviews that had a bunch of large pictures in it as filler. Every page had new information on a different aspect of the case on it.

There are many sites that use shorter pages to break down their reviews into sections, but they have some sort of drop down list to allow readers to see what is on each page in advance. I am certain this would not have been an issue if we had this feature, and we are looking forward to having this in the new version of our software.

Oh, and that VGA Silencer is on its way to su, so you'll get your answer about VCOOL vs VGA Silencer, though I'm not sure how you could compare the two unlike devices in the first place
Old 29th June 2005, 16:16   #6
goingpostale1

If I may interject Antec is a fine company but these cases are garbage. No removeable mobo tray, the left side panel and top side panel CANT be removed unless you drill, and that damn front door falls off almost without fail every damn time i take it to a LAN Party.
Did I mention its not really that silent and the PSU only has one fan? Its not bad if you never intend to show off that nice black finish at a LAN Party.
Old 29th June 2005, 16:18   #7
goingpostale1

Oh yeah and the holes on the side make an front air intake air filter near useless.
Old 29th June 2005, 16:26   #8
Firewire

I know the holes. They are on the original. They removed that because they had complaints because it was cheesy, though I'm sure someone mention your point too. They enlarged the front intake vents on the Sonata II.

Not sure if they fixed the door issue, but I would imagine that you weren't the first one to bump it off. I didn't review the case, but I did see it in January at CES. Personally, I think this one would be best left at home. They do have a case that is more friendly to transport. I think it was called teh LanBoy?
Old 29th June 2005, 16:39   #9
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I reviewed that one here: http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=58

and I bought it afterwards also, been using it as a test system for some time now, but the 80mm rear outtake fan is making it hard to continue using this case for future product reviews, I need a 120mm one
Old 29th June 2005, 16:44   #10
Firewire

Time to review the Antec's SLI Control PSU perhaps JMKE?