It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
6GHz Phenom II Overclock on LN2, 5Ghz on Dry Ice 6GHz Phenom II Overclock on LN2, 5Ghz on Dry Ice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

6GHz Phenom II Overclock on LN2, 5Ghz on Dry Ice

Old 21st November 2008, 14:47   #11
[M] Reviewer

Massman Freshly Registered

Apparently it's CPC as fast as the Nehalem, so if AMD manages to launch their products at similar price ratios as the first phenoms ... it's better than Nehalem
Old 21st November 2008, 15:09   #12
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

Just don't forget the Intel E8x00 series, mainstream priced cpu's which scale up to 4GHz rather easily, at these clockspeeds you have a very fast setup for daily usage/gaming. Quad cores will be either slower, cost more, use more power, require more volts and better cooling ... I honestly don't think AMD will sell their PII cheaper then Intel's duals. In other words, not that interesting for daily usage/gaming/apps which don'ts scale with multiple cores.

In other market segments, workstations for example, I don't think there will be too much overclocking going on, important is that AMD can get hold of the performance/watt crown at near 3GHz, with the correct price AMD can be very competitive. Just one thing, don't expect that these cpu's will come for cheap, expect to pay premium prices like we're used to with FX cpu's. If AMD can get more money of their product they won't hesitate, they're not better then Intel

geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2008, 13:03   #13
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
Apparently it's CPC as fast as the Nehalem, so if AMD manages to launch their products at similar price ratios as the first phenoms ... it's better than Nehalem
I'm not so sure. Anand already did 2socket 8core tests of Shanghai against Penryn, it was competitive but with plenty of caveats.

Against Nehalem it swings back to Intel's favor, because Intel will lose the power hungry FB-DIMMs and should gain significantly better performance scaling compared to Penryn. I expect Nehalem to dominate 4-socket systems....

And to be fair JMke, I am sure AMD will have dual-core chips priced competitively. They just won't have many of them unless they specifically make dual-core only chips.

Last edited by Kougar : 22nd November 2008 at 13:06.
Old 22nd November 2008, 13:06   #14
[M] Reviewer

Massman Freshly Registered

I don't trust Anand's reviews that much, he has been proven incorrect when comparing the Yorksfield with the Nehalem in the past, favoring the Nehalem too much.
Old 22nd November 2008, 14:23   #15
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
And to be fair JMke, I am sure AMD will have dual-core chips priced competitively.
why are you addressing this reply to me? I didn't post anything in this thread
Old 22nd November 2008, 16:35   #16
Kougar

Hum, sorry JMke, I meant Geoffrey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massman View Post
I don't trust Anand's reviews that much, he has been proven incorrect when comparing the Yorksfield with the Nehalem in the past, favoring the Nehalem too much.
He has also constantly written articles against Intel during the Pentium era and never seemed unwilling to pull punches. Regardless, there is no Nehalem system in their results. Just a 3Ghz Yorkfield 8-core server against a 2.7Ghz Phenom II 8-core server. The results are really closer than I would have expected, which is good for AMD... but they are not enough either in my humble opinion. Also insufficient results for a full comparison, but it is a start.

Massman, that's fine as I don't base my views off any sole site's results either, THG and Tweaktown made doubly sure of that. But do you know of any other sites that have done major Shanghai review comparisons...

Last edited by Kougar : 22nd November 2008 at 16:48.
Old 6th February 2009, 13:30   #17
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

6Ghz on LN2 possible http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=906