It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
27-inch Apple iMac Review (2011) 27-inch Apple iMac Review (2011)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

27-inch Apple iMac Review (2011)

Old 27th May 2011, 15:45   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default 27-inch Apple iMac Review (2011)

It's the new 2011 upgraded 27-inch iMac. More or less it's the 2011 MacBook Pro mated to a 27-inch LED backlit Cinema Display. It's basically my setup but in an all-in-one desktop.

I never liked the iMac. I understood the appeal, but it wasn't for me. The CPUs and GPUs weren't fast enough, there weren't enough drive bays and the display was always worse than what I already had on my desk. However the same series of events that allowed me to dump the Mac Pro and use a Sandy Bridge MacBook Pro have made the iMac that much more interesting.

Moore's Law (or more specifically, hundreds of super smart process and chip engineers) have more or less solved the performance problem in these integrated machines. We've been on the longest run I can remember of software being outpaced by hardware and as a result machines like the iMac look a whole lot more powerful than they did just a few years ago.

SSDs and very high capacity mechanical drives fixed the storage problem, while the advent of 27-inch high resolution LCD panels fixed the display problem. The new iMac can easily be a real workstation for users today, when in the past it was more of a machine you'd give to your parents. To be honest, after using it for a while, I actually like the new iMac.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4340/2...ac-review-2011