It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
10 reasons NOT to upgrade to Windows XP SP2 10 reasons NOT to upgrade to Windows XP SP2
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10 reasons NOT to upgrade to Windows XP SP2

Old 8th November 2004, 14:24   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default 10 reasons NOT to upgrade to Windows XP SP2

I read this:

1- May make your system run slower 2- Can cause data loss if installation isn't successful 3- Can cause system to be more vulnerable to internet attacks 4- May require you to reactivate your Windows installation 5- Consumes your time and bandwidth when downloading 6- Consumes your time during install 7- Install the pesky Security center 8- Install Windows Firewall, which doesn't really do anything 9- May cause already currently working applications not to work 10- May increase boot up time Of course each of these outcomes will vary from user to user, never the less, it is possible for your system to suffer from any of those 10 reasons.

here http://spdrivers.net/sp/article.php?...41107200843469

1) Any proof of this? Had no slowdown on any of the machines I installed it on.
2) Backup of data is your responsibility, no one else's
3) Excuse me? By closing more ports, restricting applications from running as "server" service, and generally blocking unknown code from running, please explain to me how it would make the machine "more" vulnerable?
4) Reinstall Windows can also cause this, changing motherboard/cpu also, what's the problem?
5) You can ask a free CD to be shipped to your front door
6) ... ?
7) ... ?
8) Can be deactivated with 2 clicks
9) The only valid comment, do some research, most apps will run fine if you patch/upgrade them
10) Same as 1) and there is no tangible proof.

Still a nice shot at Microsoft for trying to do something about the security of their OS... NOT
Old 8th November 2004, 16:29   #2
wutske

1) http://kama.sarcnet.com/xpsp1vsxpsp2_page1.html
2) http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm , but, everything you upgrade can cause data loss, so don't nagg
3) There are some security flaws in SP2, so what, alot got cured and Win always has holes somewhere
4) activition ? never needed that
5) reading this 'article' too
6) Ok, it takes a lot of time, but dude, what is 30min in a whole life
7) this is realy something for people who don't know a thing about security. Now they can learn the risks and learn how to secure themselves. By doing so, there are less vulnerable people and less virus/hacker problems. (costing billions btw)
8) You're not forced to use it
9) right
10) One second ??? , oeh, shocking

But, I still don't use SP2 and I'm not realy thinking about installing it (winxp install is already screwed here and I need a fresh install)
Old 8th November 2004, 17:25   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

1) http://kama.sarcnet.com/xpsp1vsxpsp2_page1.html

except for the freak Aquamark result I would not call 1-3% a huge slowdown, or even at all. not noticable, that's for sure
http://kama.sarcnet.com/xpsp1vsxpsp2_page6.html
Old 8th November 2004, 17:39   #4
wutske

I wasn't realy defending his point, it was just to show that nobody (ok, maybe w/ a PII and a GF2 ) would notice it and that most of the difference is within the faultmargin.