It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
swapfile-errors swapfile-errors
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

swapfile-errors
Closed Thread

Old 24th August 2005, 18:54   #1
wutske

Default swapfile-errors

I was toying aroung w/ taskmanager and I was looking at the available collums. There was an option called swapfile-errors (actualy, it was called wisselbestandsfouten, but I quickly translated it).

I thought I'd only see a few errors, but atm there are more then a million errors (707.000 for avast and 587.000 for explorer). I was wondering, since my system is still running, is this normal ???

Old 24th August 2005, 22:22   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I think it's normal HF

Firefox.exe has 762.805 Page Faults here after 5min; the Page Faults are not "faults" at all,

-----
What are Page Faults?

Only those parts of the program and data that are currently in active use need to be held in physical RAM. Other parts are then held in a swap file (as it’s called in Windows 95/98/ME: Win386.swp) or page file (in Windows NT versions including Windows 2000 and XP: pagefile.sys). When a program tries to access some address that is not currently in physical RAM, it generates an interrupt, called a Page Fault. This asks the system to retrieve the 4 KB page containing the address from the page file (or in the case of code possibly from the original program file). This — a valid page fault — normally happens quite invisibly. Sometimes, through program or hardware error, the page is not there either. The system then has an ‘Invalid Page Fault’ error. This will be a fatal error if detected in a program: if it is seen within the system itself (perhaps because a program sent it a bad request to do something), it may manifest itself as a ‘blue screen’ failure with a STOP code: consult the page on STOP Messages on this site.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
Old 25th August 2005, 00:02   #3
wutske

Windows keeps surprising me everytime again . They have bizar terminologies, a valid error and an invallid error .
Thanks for the info jmke, realy helped my a lot.

Old 25th August 2005, 00:10   #4
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

page faults are used on all OS's, it's not microsoft specific