It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Recommendations on wireless routers Recommendations on wireless routers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Recommendations on wireless routers
Closed Thread

Old 7th August 2007, 00:19   #1
mentalcrisis00

Default Recommendations on wireless routers

Hey all

Well the order for my Dell laptop is in and it should be here in a week or 2. I've been looking around for a wireless router to do away with the headaches of wire routing. I currently have the Dlink DGL 4100 gaming router (i know i know i shoulda just bought the wireless one when i bought this a year ago but it was like 50 bucks more expensive at the time)

I only requirements are that it have Wireless G capability, the option to open at least 3 to 5 ports or more, and it should be under 60 bucks, portability is also nice but not required, also it doesn't need to have any ports other then a WAN port seeming i already have my dlink for all my wired needs.

I've been looking mostly on newegg because they're really my favorite when it comes to retail computer parts. These are the 4 choices I've come up with but the reviews kind of contradict each other so if anyone could voice some opinions that'd be nice.

1. LinkSYS WRT54GL - looking at this cuz it's a name brand
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190

2. NetGear WGR614 - this is also a name brand... and it looks pretty lol
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122016

3. Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 - Only have seen this brand pop up a few times but it seems to have a monster load of customization options and it's only $53 bucks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162134

4. level one WAP-0004 - I really wish this one was less then 50 bucks because it looks like the ultimate portable wireless device
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833327013

Well those are my top 4, if anyone has any suggestions or links to other routers that would work for me then that would be awsome. Also is there any other device thats capable of broadcasting wireless? I looked around but all the antenna's i found are just for boosting or receiving wireless.

thanks

-Ray

Last edited by mentalcrisis00 : 7th August 2007 at 02:09.

Old 7th August 2007, 06:32   #2

Sidney Freshly Registered

For wireless, there is not much to gain from one brand to another imo. It is over 10 times slower than wired connection. Same as to wired only router because if you are not paying for business or high speed service there is not much to gain, and business line is hell a lot more expensive for home use. I like both D-link and LinkSys.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 7th August 2007, 09:16   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

if your only concern for connectivity is "having a way to slowly reach data" any wireless router will do. If you like to encrypt the data with WPA2, be sure to check out the max throughput of each router WITH the encryption enabled, this will differ from brand to brand.

If you need large file transfers however, stick to wired
Old 7th August 2007, 19:00   #4
mentalcrisis00

Only thing I'm looking for is good to excellent connectivity, vista compatible, and being able to surf the web and play online games with a reasonable ping (75 to 150 i can deal with). I'm gonna be using my AMD X2 desktop for file serving anyway so I'm not looking to download anything over 100MB on the wireless connection.

I was lookin at the portable dlink router, has no antenna and 1 WAN port but it'd be great for bringing wireless from my apartment to my parents. I'm pretty much afraid of getting anything big and fancy cuz I will be transporting it once in awhile when i come home.

but thanks for the imput guys I'll probably go with Dlink my gamers lounge has been good to me for the past year.

-Ray

Old 7th August 2007, 20:09   #5
Madshrimp

D-Link is Cisco, so can't be bad

ping wise , the wireless interface will add practically no overhead
Old 8th August 2007, 10:50   #6
EsaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
D-Link is Cisco, so can't be bad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys

WPA is mandatory if you want any kind security and don't like the idea of your LAN being open for possible attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalcrisis00 View Post
also it doesn't need to have any ports other then a WAN port seeming i already have my dlink for all my wired needs.
First of all network shares won't go well through routing and multiple consecutive NATs is bad idea in general so you need router with LAN port, or then plain wireless access point without any routing stuff.

Old 8th August 2007, 11:01   #7
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsaT View Post
DOH, mixed them up
Old 8th August 2007, 13:56   #8

Sidney Freshly Registered

WPA is the law in certain cities if you live in the U.S.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Closed Thread