It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
My vision is screwed, are LCDs better? My vision is screwed, are LCDs better?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My vision is screwed, are LCDs better?
Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2007, 10:27   #1
Rutar

Default My vision is screwed, are LCDs better?

I'm down to 80% and I must know if ditching my CRT would be a good idea.

Old 2nd May 2007, 10:58   #2
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

I also wear glasses. for about 5 years I'm using a TFT right now, a lot better for my eyes. I can work straight all day at the computer, with CRT I had to take a half hour break every 2 hours minimum. Less taxing for my eyes now.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:26   #3
Rutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotke View Post
I also wear glasses. for about 5 years I'm using a TFT right now, a lot better for my eyes. I can work straight all day at the computer, with CRT I had to take a half hour break every 2 hours minimum. Less taxing for my eyes now.
Yes, but did your doctor recommend anything regarding CRT vs LCD?

Old 2nd May 2007, 11:29   #4
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

I was one of the first with a TFT, so no, there wasn't any advice. Just talking personal experience here.
Old 2nd May 2007, 21:34   #5
Nessmaster

I switched to an LCD partially because I could feel my eyes being worn out, and when I took them of the monitor and put them back on I could feel the strain. This was 1280x1024 at 60Hz. This also caused me to play games at 1024x768 at 85Hz just so my eyes wouldn't wear out. I miss my CRT alot cause it had beautiful colors, but I love my new LCD cause I don't feel as tired anymore and bigger resolution = great image.

Old 2nd May 2007, 21:44   #6
Rutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessmaster View Post
I switched to an LCD partially because I could feel my eyes being worn out, and when I took them of the monitor and put them back on I could feel the strain. This was 1280x1024 at 60Hz. This also caused me to play games at 1024x768 at 85Hz just so my eyes wouldn't wear out. I miss my CRT alot cause it had beautiful colors, but I love my new LCD cause I don't feel as tired anymore and bigger resolution = great image.
Interesting, it is exactly the same for me but it hasn't started until recently.

Old 2nd May 2007, 21:57   #7
sandstorm

I've got a dual screen setup at home with a 19" CRT flatron 1280*1024 at 85hz and a 19" TFT (first generation samsung 191T) 1280*1024 at 60hz. I've noticed that watching even an older TFT is more relaxed for the eyes.

Partly due to the "non existing" flicker on a TFT but following my own opinion much more because the image is less bright. You that strong backlight from a CRT al the time for 8 our a day.

I'me for one planning to get rid of my 19" monitors and buy me 1 or 2 24" TFTs. Better for my eyes and it free's up some space on my already cluttered desk.

Old 2nd May 2007, 22:45   #8
wutske

I always worked with a CRT, usualy at 70Hz (when I was very young, I even had it set at 60Hz, until I started to get headaches ) and at a way too high resolution (=lots of space, but slightly unsharp image) .
I didn't realy noticed any troubles like lazy or sore eyes -except after 5 hours - but since I started using LCDs, my eyes realy get tired a lot faster when I'm using my CRT . I sometimes feel my eyes aren't as good as they used to be .
So switching to LCD is suggestable if you want to protect your eyes, but I do suggest to spend some extra time and money, because $100 isn't going to get you CRT quality (no ghosting, good colors and contrast and no overpowered (back)light).

Old 3rd May 2007, 10:17   #9
Rutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardFreak View Post
So switching to LCD is suggestable if you want to protect your eyes, but I do suggest to spend some extra time and money, because $100 isn't going to get you CRT quality (no ghosting, good colors and contrast and no overpowered (back)light).
I am buying the Samsung 226BW, which nuked the competition in the behardware review (and even more in the not shown input lag tests)

ships on the 30th

Old 3rd May 2007, 15:15   #10
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

widescreen