It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Best Thermal Compound Best Thermal Compound
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best Thermal Compound
Closed Thread

Old 1st June 2005, 19:44   #1
despat

Default Best Thermal Compound

Hello,

I've recently got into this business of heat reducing so that I can overclock my laptop (or for the most parts just to increase the cpu/gpu chip's life by dissipating heat faster -- if I don't overclock at the time). I have Dell XPS (Gen 1) 3.4 P 4 Laptop. I've already removed 3 Dell (original) heat pad from the GPU mold and replaced them with copper shims. That did reduce heat, however, my next project is to use sterling silver shims instead. I have orderd the 3 pieces and shall be conducting the test. I have already purchased the Articlean (2 solutions) Cleaners. I am a bit confused about which thermal compuound/paste to use between the two different contacts.
1. between the GPU Chip and the Silver Shim
and
2. between the other two silver shims and the METAL GPU molding.

I've have already used Arctic Silver 5 for the present copper modding. I was looking into using Nanotherm XTC thermal paste for the Silver Shim modding project. It's available here:

http://www.frozencpu.com/thr-10.html?id=iLeVjE4S

Do you recommend this paste or would you suggest something else?

Thank you

Noor

Old 1st June 2005, 19:52   #2
TeuS

I'd suggest something else, there's already stuff out that's better then the XTC.

Old 1st June 2005, 20:26   #3
SkipCox

Why not contact nanotherm and see if you can get a sample for free to include in your shim testing...worth a try.

I wonder what this means;

"Compound is non-electrically conductive, based on our preliminary testing"

Strange sentence. Either it is or it is not electrically conductive.

Old 1st June 2005, 21:15   #4
TeuS

it's not electrically conductive according do their first tests. extensive testing might point out that the compound is slightly conductive under some circumstances

Old 2nd June 2005, 05:38   #5
despat

Default Best thermal compound

I just contacted a former employee of Nanotherm and he told me that the company merged with Arctic and AS5 is still the best and recommended paste to go with.

I've also gotten news that the sterling silver is not what I require but I should be using .999 silver. Apparently, Sterling Silver is a mixture of 92.5 % pure silver and 7.5 % metal alloy copper/zinc. I wonder if this contamination will hamper heat conduction significantly enough to warrant spending extra for .999 silver.

Any suggestions. BTW, I'v already got the 3 sterling silver shims all ready as soon as I get them lapped.

Noor

Old 2nd June 2005, 06:25   #6
SkipCox

No real suggestions at this point. Arctic Silver is a local call for me so I'll give them a ring in the morning and see if I can pin down a warm body to answer your guestions.

Do you have a link to the sterling shims you'll be using for this project?

Old 8th June 2005, 15:40   #7
Rutar

What about Arctic Cooling MX?

Closed Thread