It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
Who's sending the emails ? Who's sending the emails ?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Who's sending the emails ?
Closed Thread

Old 19th April 2004, 11:19   #1

Bosw8er Freshly Registered
Default Who's sending the emails ?

I get an increasing number of emails returned to my accounts with the message :
- couldn't deliver because address doesn't exist
- couldn't deliver because of virus attach

1) The addresses to whom they were send aren't in my addressbook, in none of the other users addressbooks, ... in fact no-one knows the addresses in the first place
2) The emails are not in one of users send-folder
3) All boxes on the network have the latest anti-virus updates and have been scanned twice
4) Because 2 of the bounced emails mentioned the w32 netsky virus, i ran the removal tool on all boxes ... no virus to be found
5) I changed the passwords of two accounts (which were used to send virus infected emails and then bounced)
6) I send a number of the bounced emails to skynet-abuse (i have skynet adsl) ... no solution there

... but those emails keep on coming. I presume it's quite innocent and harmless ... but still quite annoying

Any idea's how to avoid them ?
Old 19th April 2004, 11:20   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Avoid them: nope.
just delete em

Quote:
Hello,

Someone who is infected with a virus has your address in his address book (or your domain), and the virus sends out fake message to the contacts, you can safely delete these messages.

More info on email spoofing can be found here:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/a...566233,00.html

http://www.lse.ac.uk/itservices/help...g&spoofing.htm

"Email-distributed viruses that use spoofing, such the Klez or Sobig virus, take a random name from somewhere on the infected person’s hard disk and mail themselves out as if they were from that randomly chosen address. Recipients of these viruses are therefore misled as to the address from which they were sent, and may end up complaining to, or alerting the wrong person. As a result, users of uninfected computers may be wrongly informed that they have, and have been distributing a virus. "

Kind regards,

John M
Old 19th April 2004, 11:30   #3

Best solution is then to just keep sending the bounced messages to skynet - abuse ... so maybe one day they'll track down the infected one ?
Old 19th April 2004, 11:33   #4
Madshrimp

very hard to trace since both sending party AND destined party can be spoofed by the virus, thereby making it impossible to track who has been infected.
Old 19th April 2004, 11:34   #5

BlackRabbit Freshly Registered

Sending emails to abuse won't work since the sender of the virus is "you".

I alse recieve these messages, as well as mails from angry people who recieve viri from "me".
Even recieved an email from abuse@pi.be telling me I'm infected blabla..

Problem is I have aa very public email account (datanuke) which is an easy target for searchbots..
Old 19th April 2004, 11:35   #6
Madshrimp

these spoofing viri are doing out at the moment, so the flow of these bounced messages will diminish as time goes by.

you got put these messages in the Spambayes filter
Old 19th April 2004, 11:57   #7

Worst problem here is some people replied with great anger to those emails ... from people that i actually know.
No matter what i tell them, they do NOT want to believe they do NOT come from me. ("yeah, yeah, but YOU send them ...")

thx for the links, i will use them in my replies
Old 19th April 2004, 12:14   #8
Madshrimp

I used that quoted reply for everyone @ work who inquires about these spoofed emails. some people ask the same question every other day, I reply the same thing every day
Old 19th April 2004, 19:05   #9
FreeStyler

do keep sending them to abuse.

One day they'll get sick of them and they might actually do something about it.
Abd you CAN trrack the real sender of E-mail, it's somewhere in the header (part that outlook doesn't show) and it's IP based.

Old 19th April 2004, 20:15   #10
Madshrimp

Freestyler.. look up in-depth spoofing. and IP-spoofing.