It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
Temporary new build in attendance of Yorkfield, any advice? Temporary new build in attendance of Yorkfield, any advice?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Temporary new build in attendance of Yorkfield, any advice?
Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2007, 14:30   #1
Wolf2000me

Default Temporary new build in attendance of Yorkfield, any advice?

Hey,

I have been postponing a new build for a long while now, thinking to join the Intel craze at the availability of Yorkfield and Nvidias new graphics core. Now that this latest Intel product has been postponed and when it'll be available I'm thinking about getting a temporary new rig with the following in mind this month.

I need a mainboard that has enough overclocking features and is compatible with Yorkfield. Any recommendation will do. I'm thinking about an Intel P35 or X38 chipset with DDR2, assuming this latter chipset is available with DDR2. I'm not really expecting DDR3 to become a good idea in price/performance in the next months.

An Intel Core2 Q 6600.
A Geforce 8800GT card.
2Gb DDR2.
Thermaltake Mozart case.

I will also get at least a 2x120mm Rad and I will also get a graphics card waterblock and CPU block. I have an Eheim 1048 pump in my current rig. Any waterblock recommendation is appreciated as well.

Eventually I will be able to lose many parts to my brother but it would be nice for this system to be used as his workstation for a while, hence the Quad core idea.

Any advice on any part is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Old 8th December 2007, 15:24   #2
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

The Q6600 is the best Quad core upgrade for now, the wide availability makes it only better, plus you can get quit a decent overclock without touching the CPU voltage setting. Performance wise, in real world applications you won't really notice any difference between P35/X38, the later is the high-end so I think you'll be better of with P35 price wise. Prefered board... depends on what you're looking for... do you want onboard video.... or onboard WLAN... or perhaps external SATA connections? The ASUS P5K ain't that bad, not many options but very decent priced. AsRock boards with Via chipsets can be even better price/performance wise, but in overclocking the are far less great then P35 based chipsets. I have no idea about Yorkfield, I don't know if Via chipsets will support those.

For watercooling components, look for Swiftech ApogeeGT(X) or D-Tek fusion. Excellent CPU blocks and decent priced in the US. For your VGA, the Swiftech MCW-60 is just great, you should check out our article database, we ran some tests with it few months back.
Old 8th December 2007, 16:28   #3

Sidney Freshly Registered

ASRock board with Via chipset won't support Yorkfield. However, ASRock P965, and P31 reviewed here do; new BIOS were released last month.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 8th December 2007, 18:31   #4
Wolf2000me

Thanks for the advice so far

I'll be more specific on the board. Let's say X38, good overclocking functions, lots of SATA with RAID and Gigabit ethernet

I'll take a look at all the review database. Great stuff, btw

Old 8th December 2007, 18:46   #5
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

http://www.findproductreview.com/
Old 14th December 2007, 20:29   #6
Liquid3D

Asus Maximus X38 if your getting a Mozart Tower I imagine getting this board is within your means?

Otherwise I'd skip the case all together and get this board hehe.

Closed Thread