It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
GAP35-DS3L Boot Problem GAP35-DS3L Boot Problem
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GAP35-DS3L Boot Problem
Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2008, 04:24   #1
Nessmaster

Default GAP35-DS3L Boot Problem

I've been running my system (E2180 @ 3.0Ghz with a GA-P35-DS3L) for about half a year now and so far everything has been fine up until a week ago when I had left the computer off for 2 days, turned it on and wouldn't POST. I've tried multiple CMOS resets, including the battery method, but have had no luck in getting the system to POST. When I turn it on, it powers up for about 2 seconds, shuts off for another 2 seconds and then powers up again indefinably but won't display anything.

I'm not sure if it's the mother board, cpu, or power supply. I don't think I stressed the hardware much, and it's only half a year old, but the PSU is over 2 years old now.

What do you guys think?

Old 13th May 2008, 04:37   #2
Kougar

Remove the RAM and test each one individually to see if the machine will POST.

When you removed the battery, did you ensure the PSU was off or unplugged, and wait more then 10 minutes?

Old 15th May 2008, 03:18   #3
Nessmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Remove the RAM and test each one individually to see if the machine will POST.

When you removed the battery, did you ensure the PSU was off or unplugged, and wait more then 10 minutes?
Yeah all except for the battery part; I only waited like 2 minutes.

Old 21st May 2008, 20:36   #4
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

have you installed the system inside a case, or outside?
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:51   #5
Nessmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
have you installed the system inside a case, or outside?
No, with school finishing up and all I haven't had time to work on it yet. I'll do some more intensive testing this weekend and get back to you guys on the results. Hopefully nothing has been permenantly damaged, although I think the PSU may be near its end.

Old 23rd May 2008, 15:09   #6
Madshrimp

Q: inside a case or outside
A: no

No for outside a case
No for inside a case

??
Old 24th May 2008, 18:14   #7
Nessmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
No for outside a case
No for inside a case
It's in a case at the moment, I have not tried to install it outside of it's case yet.

Old 25th May 2008, 00:16   #8
Madshrimp

might be a short circuit ; try mobo/cpu/vga/ram outside of the case
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:31   #9
Nessmaster

Alright, well I had my friend bring his computer over today and I tested out my CPU in his pc and it worked just fine. I then tried his CPU in my pc and I had the same probelm as I had been getting with my CPU. So I am pretty much convinced that it's the mobo now (I even did the whole removing the CMOS battery and disconnecting the PSU, waited 10 minutes and tried to boot back up and it still didn't work).

Now I haven't been paying too much attention to the whole pc scene latley, so I was wondering if you guys could suggest me a new mobo? I liked the current one I have right now exept for the part where it crapped out on me. I don't think I'm going to be running my CPU at 3.0Ghz anymore, probably just around like 2.4 or 2.6 or so. So what would you guys reccomend as a good, cheap (preferably under $100) LGA 775 mobo with adequet overclocking abilities?

I'm also thinking of upgrading my graphics card (my current one is a 7800GT). Should I wait till nvidia and ati release their next gen models, or is that still a while away?

Old 2nd June 2008, 21:49   #10
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

Asus P5K