It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
Asus L1N64-SLI installation problems Asus L1N64-SLI installation problems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Asus L1N64-SLI installation problems
Closed Thread

Old 6th September 2007, 22:44   #11
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

What loading testing tool do you use, I found Intel TAT (google it) to be excellent for pure CPU load testing on Intel Core systems
Old 12th September 2007, 17:37   #12
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

Maybe MS driver issue, XP SP1 or SP2? You can make a valid SP2 bootable CD via NLITE software. It's freeware if I remember it right.
Old 12th September 2007, 17:57   #13

easypanic Freshly Registered

No other HD to test with??
Old 20th September 2007, 13:58   #14
Liquid3D

Thanks for the help guys, here's where I stand....

I was able to install Windows XP Home and fotr the most part the system is stable UNTIL I try to install SP2?

I have two copies of Windows XP Home. One was purchased just months after XP came out prior to SP1.

Anyway I had tried a newer version I had first but it wasn't working except in safe Mode, and I wouldn't be able to authenticate the copy because it's on another rig with Internet access.

So I tried the other older copy, once it's validated one of the first updates is SP1, then SP2. Immediately after installing SP2 I can only enter Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Network Access.

Some driver in SP2 is preventing me from going further to stabalize the system. Or perhaps some component in the system is damaged and conflicting with the drivers? Either way it's not been easy to figure and it's holding up reviews for sure.

Old 20th September 2007, 18:17   #15

Sidney Freshly Registered

You don't have to install SP1 if you have SP2.

Do you have SP2 CD install or via internet connection live update?

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 20th September 2007, 18:20   #16
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

You can instal SP2 even with fake keys.
Old 24th September 2007, 20:06   #17
Liquid3D

Oh, well this version I had was old it didn't come with SP1 so I just assumed.

But the version is fine, both versions are fine, I can't use the new one because that'll have me running two of the same software on two different PC's.

But the when I use the SP2 version I only have o run in safe mode anyway?

I know it's something with drivers or something but cannot figure it. I'm really starting to freak because I won't be able to much overclocking or rather use the software for benchmarking w/out SP2

Old 24th September 2007, 20:29   #18

Sidney Freshly Registered

Quote:
both versions are fine, I can't use the new one because that'll have me running two of the same software on two different PC's.
Why not? Never heard of or have had any problems. For sure, use the same "name"..... just don't use "funny or unusual" names.

And, you don't need SP1 installed before SP2. Download SP2 from MS, burn it on CD and run from there.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II

Last edited by Sidney : 24th September 2007 at 20:32.
Old 25th September 2007, 02:44   #19
Liquid3D

Microsoft asks you whenever you have to re-authenticate how many PC's your running "this copy of Windows on?" If you use a copy of Windows on anymore then one PC Microsoft asks you purchase a second license.

That's why I purchased a second copy of WinXP Home. Sure you can get away with it if the PC in question never uses the Internet, but once your online and need to upgrade any "valid" Microsoft software the jig is up.

Anytime I corrupt my HDD, change out a motherboard or get a new HDD I ususally hae to re-activare and they ask the same question everytime, "How many PC's do you have this copy of Windows installed on?"

This is what their doing with VISTA, you only get so many chances to re-validate software. Basically they presume mostpeople will stick with the same PC or a year or so so five re-activations is adequate, but I've literally re-validated my software about 75-times over the years. Their getting very strict with Windows XP now to try and catch people running duplicate copies.

I'm not having trouble getting SP2 it's on one disk and I have automatic updates on so it keeps popping up. But If I install SP2 she won't boot.

Old 25th September 2007, 08:57   #20
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Would does Asus support have to say about this issue?