It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice > FAQ / INFO / HOW-TO
INFO: What AMD Athlon CPU's are there and what are the differences between them INFO: What AMD Athlon CPU's are there and what are the differences between them
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

INFO: What AMD Athlon CPU's are there and what are the differences between them
Closed Thread

Old 24th August 2004, 19:30   #11
[M] Reviewer

Gamer Freshly Registered

I love my PIV3C

don't know why, it's my main system for more then a year and a half now, and I had my share of A64's to play with.

best buy is indeed the A64 3000+ only the lack of hyperthreading (can't live without it) is a disadvantage.
Old 24th August 2004, 19:53   #12
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

I love the P4 'C' Northwood too, but unfortunatly that's irrelevant as you can only buy Prescotts nowadays.

The first post is translated from a forumpost I made in shrimpwars. If I knew it 'd be upgraded to a FAQ I would have chosen my words better, but I stand by my point the current Intel Prescott processors are not worth considering for homebuilt PC's. They're more expensive, the stock cooler is unbearable, and they feel very sluggish compared to the A64.

Disclaimer: I've owned and operated multiple P4 northwood and prescott powered computers, and not all AMD processors are great.
Old 24th August 2004, 20:07   #13
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeStyler
right saying that intel is no option is't the least bit disrespectfull..
read what's in first post only, dont speculate! just because Dell & HP are using P4's in their desktop doesnt mean it is the SMART CHOICE for the end user and us the enthusiasts. AMD now has the lead in price & performance ratio! Intel does not.

this post is for PC Enthusiasts, not for Dell nor HP. read please before replying or also "put brain into gear before mouth"
Old 24th August 2004, 20:10   #14

Sidney Freshly Registered

I have Prescott too; but I don't like it, slower than Norwood. I don't know why I have so many systems running just for thermal testing.

My favorite is the 2.4C at 270FSB simple air cooling with Stock HSF. The AXP-M is next; but spoiled by HT.

The next one will have to be A64 Mobile for kicks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, did not read Dell/HP stuffs; they are for bookworms.

They now have enthusiasts game machines; but enthusiasts won't buy a preassembled rig; they will be laughed at by their "buddies".

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 24th August 2004, 20:14   #15
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

not every P4 reaches such high overclocks, so that doesnt really count in my humble opinion
Old 25th February 2005, 08:06   #16
Stone

Sounds like my brother-in-law. To him, clock speed is an end all. He bags on me for my "slow" AMD64, at the stock 2gig (although now it's running fine at 2.3 ) because he's running an Intel P4 at it's stock 3.2gig... and he calls his a "Beast Machine"... give me a break.

Let me get some decent RAM and a similar graphics card in here... and he can just sit and spin when he sees MY BMs...

Closed Thread