It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
What's holding me back? What's holding me back?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What's holding me back?
Closed Thread

Old 20th November 2004, 13:46   #1
agent #2

Default What's holding me back?

I tried ocing this morning (now i got my new powersupply and mosfet cooling )
I reach 260 fsb (3900 mhz) at 1,5825 V, 1:1 divider with 2,5-3-3-6 timings @ 2,8 vdimm. If I try 265 fsb (even with more vcore) I get a black screen when I boot windows. Is my mobo maxed out? or should I lower my timmings or increase more vcore? Or is the cpu just maxed out? (SL-79L C0 stepping)

Old 20th November 2004, 14:23   #2
kristos

set the divider to 4(memory)/5(processor)

to make sure that it isn't your memory.

if your cooling can take it; more Vcore. Prescotts can take higher heat loads then nortwoods, and I'm not sure but I thought they also handled higher voltages better then northwoods...

I don't know your board but on my p4c800e-dlx I had to disable "performance mode" to get past 275mhz fsb.

Old 20th November 2004, 14:28   #3
kr15t0f

Default Re: What's holding me back?

Quote:
Originally posted by agent #2
I tried ocing this morning (now i got my new powersupply and mosfet cooling )
I reach 260 fsb (3900 mhz) at 1,5825 V, 1:1 divider with 2,5-3-3-6 timings @ 2,8 vdimm. If I try 265 fsb (even with more vcore) I get a black screen when I boot windows. Is my mobo maxed out? or should I lower my timmings or increase more vcore? Or is the cpu just maxed out? (SL-79L C0 stepping)
got a problem like that on my nf7-s.
Try overclocking with 1 stick of ram. Maybe it helps.
helps refers to higher fsb, because even if you can get the fsb a lot higher you still lose dual channel .

Old 20th November 2004, 16:34   #4
Desert Eagle

Quote:
Originally posted by kristos
set the divider to 4(memory)/5(processor)

to make sure that it isn't your memory.

4/5 , and how do i do that on my mobo?
Its with %, for example 6/5 is 83% , but 4/5??
Because i think my memory is holding me back

Old 20th November 2004, 16:38   #5
kr15t0f

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Eagle

4/5 , and how do i do that on my mobo?
Its with %, for example 6/5 is 83% , but 4/5??
Because i think my memory is holding me back
You don't have to use 4/5, it's just an example. Some mobo's use */* others *%.

If you got one with *% and someone tels you to use the 4/5 divider they just mean that you have to let your mem run a bit slower. So use a % under 100.

edit, is that your axp pc? A7N8X-Deluxe rev 2.0?
I know that nforce2 mobo's got problems with dividers. If I use a divider on my NF7-s I have to be lucky to get a boot. Sometimes it boots but mostly I have to reset the bios.

Old 20th November 2004, 17:20   #6
agent #2

http://home.scarlet.be/~bralou/oc.JPG

Increasing Vcore and setting the divider 5:4 worked, but It was very unstable. I managed to do Superpi, but norton was crashing and stuff. Superpi score was 34 sec, but it was the same as on 260 FSB. I guess I need some beter cooling now.

Old 21st November 2004, 00:03   #7
kristos

I don't see norton running in that screenshot... are you trying to run at those speeds with all those progs running in the background?

anyways, you could eather try to figure out what voltage is considered safe in general for prescotts (fora, oc reviews, ...)

or you could take the risk and raise the voltage some more untill you have a stable running system...

don't forget abit is somewhat pessimistic in it's temp readings. averagely, your temps should be 5°C lower.

maybe try to get a temp probe at some "local electronics shop", just to give you a seccond, more accurate reading on your temps.

ivm die dividers in %, da's dan toch easy normaal gezien: 5/4 = memory at 80% 4/3 = memory at 75%

Old 21st November 2004, 00:11   #8
Desert Eagle

Quote:
Originally posted by kr15t0f

edit, is that your axp pc? A7N8X-Deluxe rev 2.0?
I know that nforce2 mobo's got problems with dividers. If I use a divider on my NF7-s I have to be lucky to get a boot. Sometimes it boots but mostly I have to reset the bios.
Yeah, its the axp mobo. I did several tests, and its the memory that lacking here. Next thing i'm gonna do is a ddr- voltmod.
But i don't know if that's gonna change something (lets hope it does)

Old 21st November 2004, 00:21   #9
kr15t0f

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Eagle

Yeah, its the axp mobo. I did several tests, and its the memory that lacking here. Next thing i'm gonna do is a ddr- voltmod.
But i don't know if that's gonna change something (lets hope it does)
Whats the speed of your ram now?

Old 21st November 2004, 00:44   #10
agent #2

Quote:
Originally posted by kristos
I don't see norton running in that screenshot... are you trying to run at those speeds with all those progs running in the background?

anyways, you could eather try to figure out what voltage is considered safe in general for prescotts (fora, oc reviews, ...)

or you could take the risk and raise the voltage some more untill you have a stable running system...

don't forget abit is somewhat pessimistic in it's temp readings. averagely, your temps should be 5°C lower.

maybe try to get a temp probe at some "local electronics shop", just to give you a seccond, more accurate reading on your temps.

ivm die dividers in %, da's dan toch easy normaal gezien: 5/4 = memory at 80% 4/3 = memory at 75%
Norton allready crashed then.
I could run superPi without patch. The one with the patch crashes. Other programs, I don't know, but I think they will crash 2.

I can run everything primestable at 250. Higher some programs/games crash.

I understand dividers. I can only choose 3: 1:1, 5:4 and 3:2

Closed Thread