It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
"low budget" watercooling "low budget" watercooling
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"low budget" watercooling
Closed Thread

Old 17th October 2003, 19:01   #1
Laagvliegerke

Default "low budget" watercooling

Well, maybe low budget is the wrong descripton as there are already complete WC-sets for less then € 100,00 I just want to make a cheap but well-performing WC but we all know that it isn't easy to do that for less then € 100,00! Unless you already have or can get all the materials very cheap. I've already read countless of reviews, articles, threads and how-to's but I still have questions. I hope I can ask them here?
First of all, I don't want to buy pumps, hoses, rads, etc. that are especially made for PC-watercooling. I think most of those articles are overpriced although most of those articles are well-designed and have great finish. So I'm going to make my own blocks! And why not use a garden hose and cut it into pieces? Those hoses are very cheap!
I also don't know yet where in my case I'm going to mount everything. Mostly I see the rads mounted in top of the case with fans that suck air through the rad, out of the case. But I don't trust that. What if it leaks water on my PSU or my mobo? On the other hand, there's also water flowing through my blocks so those can leak to!
So I would be gratefull if you guys (and girls?) are willing to help me! So I you have tips and tricks, please let me know

But first off all, I would like to know where I can get a cheap copper rad. I've phoned a few "car-demolitioners" (dunno how to say that exactly ) but most of them only recycle the bodywork of cars and other parts that break easily. Where did you get your rads? Or where should I be able to get them in "West-Vlaanderen"? Thanks in advance!

Old 17th October 2003, 19:50   #2
FreeStyler

have a kit. No really, unless you're feeling really frisky, do some good research before trying anything (stoopid)
Most pumps used in WC are acutally aquarium pumps. Maybe with a whee bit of redesigning.
Garden hose might be flexible enough to carry around the front yard, it won't do in a case, unless you want to use bends, but this inreases the chance of leaking. Silicone or better tubing is advised.

Your setup shouldn't leak. ever, period.
There are some thing you can try to minimize risk. Have a rundown, small drops of water will stick to an object. Use this to create a "runoff" for any water that might occure.
Or place the rad in the bottom if your case is on feet. Or at the rear, ... plenty of options, like I said, look around.

Phone some more junkyards, some should have a car that still contains a rad. Be sure to clean it real good before use. These things get messy. Also INSIDE the cooling lines.

Old 17th October 2003, 22:26   #3
Da_BoKa

those silicone hoses cost what, 0.30 EUR for a meter ( it ain't much more )

maybe conisider buying second hand stuff, it's cheap and performing as new

there is a pump for sale @ the loveno forum maybe check it out

for an res you can make one yourself out of your mom's tupperware boxes

greetz

Old 18th October 2003, 12:13   #4
Laagvliegerke

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeStyler
have a kit. No really, unless you're feeling really frisky, do some good research before trying anything (stoopid)
Most pumps used in WC are acutally aquarium pumps. Maybe with a whee bit of redesigning.
Garden hose might be flexible enough to carry around the front yard, it won't do in a case, unless you want to use bends, but this inreases the chance of leaking. Silicone or better tubing is advised.

Your setup shouldn't leak. ever, period.
There are some thing you can try to minimize risk. Have a rundown, small drops of water will stick to an object. Use this to create a "runoff" for any water that might occure.
Or place the rad in the bottom if your case is on feet. Or at the rear, ... plenty of options, like I said, look around.

Phone some more junkyards, some should have a car that still contains a rad. Be sure to clean it real good before use. These things get messy. Also INSIDE the cooling lines.
But I don't want a kit!! I don't really know what frisky means but if that's what I am, then so be it
I've done a lot of research but I don't want to copy things just like that. I want a WC with "a personal touch"
I already bought/got some stuff:
  • aquarium pump 1000 l/h: +/- 14,00 EUR (cheap so I don't know yet if it's going to perform well. It's also difficult to connect a hose (or tubbing?) so it requires modifications)
  • copper - 250 mm x 160 mm x 10 mm: 0,00 EUR
  • 13 mm fittings: 1,35 EUR/pc (i think)
  • 1 tapping rod (in order, I don't knowt the price yet)
Where can I get silicone tubing? Also in a garden store?
And indeed, I'm going to put my rad on the bottom of my case (actually I'm going to buy a new case, a full-tower for easy installation). But I still have doubts. What if I use 2 120 mm fans (at 5 or 7V) to suck fresh air from out of the case, through the rad, into the case? Won't that heat up my case? Of course I will put 2 fans (80 mm) in top of my case for a proper airflow.

Quote:
Originally posted by Da_BoKa
those silicone houses cost what, 0.30 EUR for a meter ( it ain't much more )

maybe conisider buying second hand stuff, it's cheap and performing as new

there is a pump for sale @ the loveno forum maybe check it out

for an res you can make one yourself out of your mom's tupperware boxes

greetz
I thought it costed more But garden hose is still cheaper! But as FreeStyler said, it's indeed not flexible enough, I tried it this morning.
And tupperware is indeed very handy

Old 18th October 2003, 22:18   #5
quarantaine

an heatercore from the yunkyard, top performer ! and it will cost you max 15€ (to bad i got mine in Limburg but just go to a yunkyard and ask for an opel wreck to search in) http://www.xtreme-oc.be/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=129
i have an opel astra heatercore, only disadvantage is you have to have a big case (mine hq08 fits perfectly, right beneath the hdd rack)

for the blocks, i would only recommend you to make you're own blocks if you have allready some experience with HČO.
but if you really want to make them, check Teus' guide

for the pump, maybe a tupperware box as reservoir and use it submerged? (except the outlet offcourse )

as for the hose, i use tygon but that's super expensive
just go to a few stores and test the tubes on flexibility

Closed Thread