It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
lexan, plexi, very nice but WHERE ?!? lexan, plexi, very nice but WHERE ?!?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

lexan, plexi, very nice but WHERE ?!?
Closed Thread

Old 25th March 2004, 05:04   #1
kristos

Default lexan, plexi, very nice but WHERE ?!?

When going trough reviews, I quite commonly come accros these words:
lexan and plexi.

to start with, I don't even know what lexan is, let alone where to get it (at the other hand, I do know you can mold it to pretty much whatever shape you like if you put it in the oven long enough ) and can I cut it like plexi or is it a whole different story.

And now a question that concerns both materials:
where do I find these things?
I know it's not in the GB brico cuz' i've checked and I couldn't find it there.

PS: i'm form the regio of Leuven so if anyone knows a shop in that region that would be supah

*edit* oh and since I never used any of these materials in any way, does someone know wich one would be best for dremeling out a track for a rubber band or something like that?

Old 25th March 2004, 16:03   #2
Turbokeu

Good explanation at Overclockers ...

I know of one address (where I always go) but it's in Brussels (not far from het Zuidstation):
Ets. Renier
Zuidlaan 45
1000 Brussel
02/5114863

Guy speaks only french, but has almost everything, and cuts, folds and finishes as desired.

CD

Old 25th March 2004, 16:13   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

very interesting link Turbokeu!

Quote:
Acrylic, Polycarbonate, Plexiglas, Lexan; they are all interchangeable terms in most peoples vocabulary. Getting the terminology correct could save your project from becoming a disaster.

Of all four materials listed above there are really only two plastics involved, polycarbonate and acrylic. Lexan is General Electric's trade name for Polycarbonate and acrylics trade name is Plexiglas.

Acrylic = Plexiglas
Polycarbonate = Lexan

Why does all this matter? In two words I would answer "Impact Resistance." If you’re planning any sort of project involving one of these two transparent materials you will want to know the one major drawback acrylic has to offer. Impact resistance is the key. If you want your project to hold up for any length of time under normal use, polycarbonate is the material of choice. Acrylic has a very low impact resistance and is prone to stress fracturing. Polycarbonate on the other hand has impact resistance 30x that of acrylic. Polycarbonate is also a harder material than acrylic making it less prone to scratching.
Old 25th March 2004, 23:42   #4
kristos

Thx

If I can't find polycarbonate in my area, I'll have to brush up my french I guess

Old 26th March 2004, 07:09   #5
TeuS

I might use some Lexan too, plz lemme know if you can get some

Old 26th March 2004, 23:17   #6
kristos

I wasn't planning on getting this any time soon since it'll be more of a theraputical experiment (no rush, just fun and only when I feel like working on it) but I might do so some looking arround in the near future and I'll keep you informed

Old 27th March 2004, 01:44   #7
kristos

Lol, I was google-ing arround and I came across a thread on the Loveno fora about a watercooling-/casemod by... Turbokeu
and I thought: turbokeu, turbokeu, now where do I know that name from ?!? But it's from here lol, that thread was like, 3 years old already

nways, no luck so far only thing I could find that seemed interesting was this company called Vink from heist-op-den-Berg but it's rather professional. I came across another thread at loveno fora where I guy explained that he ordered there via his dad's company but that they sell the plates in 3 by 5 meters for 9000 old begian franks and that's tax not included (dno what thickness those plates were but I'm guessing it'll have been between 6 and 8 mm's ).

linkie: http://www.vink.be/Default.asp?ID=338

I think I'm going to brush up on my French or perhaps my "Brusseleirs" will suffise ...wich may not be a bad thing since I'll be able to get everything I need at once (lexan + tools) according to what superkeu said

Old 27th March 2004, 09:15   #8
Turbokeu

Quote:
Originally posted by kristos
Lol, I was google-ing arround and I came across a thread on the Loveno fora about a watercooling-/casemod by... Turbokeu
and I thought: turbokeu, turbokeu, now where do I know that name from ?!? But it's from here lol, that thread was like, 3 years old already
I think I'm going to brush up on my French or perhaps my "Brusseleirs" will suffise ...wich may not be a bad thing since I'll be able to get everything I need at once (lexan + tools) according to what superkeu said
Wow yeah, that's quite a long time ago...
Still busy with that PC-70 project, changed my mind a couple of times (now using a Cascade WB). Everything is up and running great but I'm still busy with the finishing touch (it's a 5 year project )
I'm posting less since I have my own company (time!...) but I spend every free minute on my WC project.
I think I'm afraid to finish it and having to start a new challenge, so I'm always modifying it...
Also I made some other little projects for my PC-70 (digital flowmeter, 240x128 graphical LCD, now a 320x240 LCD...)
(see my website )

As for Renier, never tried to speak "brusseleir" with him (although I am one), he seems a little "kort" in the beginning but once you know him a little it goes better..., and he is cheap.

CD

Old 28th March 2004, 00:03   #9
kristos

holy guacemoly !!

I can see why it took you five years to complete

nways, I hope this guy speeks a little bit dutch cuz my french isn't coming along very well... never did really

PS: how does "hardsoldering" work exactly?

PPS: get rid of that anoying sound file on your main site asap

Closed Thread