It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Beginners Guides: Most Common Ways to Kill a PC Beginners Guides: Most Common Ways to Kill a PC
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners Guides: Most Common Ways to Kill a PC

Old 12th November 2007, 23:27   #11

Sidney Freshly Registered

My Toshiba laptop 266mhz lasted more than 10 years before I left it to my relative in China two years ago.
My Celeron 1GB is still running as a second PC at my daughter's place. It all depends on the users. Tweakers and overclockers treat their PC as toys rather than tools; they will break them intentionally in a few weeks for kicks.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2007, 01:20   #12
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
So I killed my P4 Processor once, you don't have to remind me.
It was never from overheat, rather over Voltage.
How much voltage was that?

I do suspect it is going to become a common thing, circuit pathways are smaller than ever at 45nm and Penryn is the first 100% lead free Intel CPU. Just like the gauge levels for wire the larger the gauge the smaller the wire's width and therefore the less current/heat it can handle before degrading or melting. Intel is using a new lead-free tin-silver-copper alloy for Penryn, so tin whiskers are possible if not likely to occur considering tin whiskers are shown to have a direct relationship with thermal cycling and higher current levels. Lead was the only metal that seemed to almost completely halt the growth of tin whiskers on chips and circuit boards.

Not to mention that since the circuit tolerances have been lowered with the shift to 45nm, the negative effects of burn-in might be more applicable? http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=152 I'm not being pessimistic, but one doesn't need a certification in electrical engineering to know there are physical limits on materials, and enthusiasts are going to run into them eventually.

Quote:
My Toshiba laptop 266mhz lasted more than 10 years before I left it to my relative in China two years ago.
My Celeron 1GB is still running as a second PC at my daughter's place. It all depends on the users. Tweakers and overclockers treat their PC as toys rather than tools; they will break them intentionally in a few weeks for kicks.
Some mothers taught their kids to not break their toys. My best example is a 500MHz Slot A AMD Compaq computer... friend physically "modded" the mainboard which allowed me to install a 1GHz Thunderbird processor in it. Put that system through hell such as 24/7 operation in high heat but it still works just fine today, including the original drive.
Old 13th November 2007, 02:16   #13

Quote:
Some mothers taught their kids to not break their toys.
More or less the father's job.

Quote:
How much voltage was that?
1.825 on Willamette, quick death without pain or suffer.

One of my kids finished her 4 years (4 not 5) with two degrees using a 233mhz 3-year old laptop. Another one went back to graduate study (still working full time) and will graduate in a few months is using my good old P4 2Ghz running 3.2Ghz since day one at 1.575v Intel Stock cooling.

Old 13th November 2007, 09:14   #14
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

got a P4 which died a slow death, somebody had pinmodded it , and only noticed this after it broke
Old 13th November 2007, 21:57   #15
Kougar

I can't stand to use my 2.8 -> 3.4Ghz Northwood comp... Photoshop Elements lags out just with a couple small photos to edit, drove me completely nuts to try and do any image work on it. Would take minutes to do a batch run, longer still if using high resolution images. E6300/Q6600 later Photoshop CS3 loads and runs about as smooth as IE7. Drive array probably helped fix that issue too though, I guess.

Quote:
1.825 on Willamette, quick death without pain or suffer.
Only 1.825v?? Rather surprising, since Willamette is 180nm and has a core voltage rating of as high as 1.75v. Intel claims "1.560V-1.75V" for operating voltages. Makes ya wonder about 1.5v or 1.6v on a 45nm chip, doesn't it?

Last edited by Kougar : 13th November 2007 at 22:04.
Old 14th November 2007, 12:46   #16
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

Lol

I squuezed 2.15 trough a 45 nm cpu
Old 14th November 2007, 12:59   #17
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotke View Post
Lol

I squuezed 2.15 trough a 45 nm cpu
yes, but you are shrimp like hell

thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2007, 17:22   #18

It did not overheat; just died without warning. I got it from ebay used; had it for a year.