It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
9½ weeks with Ubuntu 9½ weeks with Ubuntu
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

9½ weeks with Ubuntu

Old 18th December 2007, 17:58   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default 9½ weeks with Ubuntu

Alas support for my beloved Windows 2000 is going to stop and the longer the more applications are no longer compatible. Hey, we had a good time, but it is time to say goodbye and to look out for a new and sexier partner. Welcome Ubuntu!

http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=641
Old 18th December 2007, 18:37   #2
wutske

Quote:
To accomplish the same functionality with XP it takes 3 hours (fresh install).
If you fiddle around a bit with nLite, you can easily install a (more ligthweigth) version of XP in about 15 minutes. If you add some win-get batch-action to it you probably have a completely functional desktop in an hour (or two, depening on your internet connection ).

btw, bosw8er, are you frustrated or something ? Nice article .

//edit; yaj, 1300 posts
Old 18th December 2007, 19:22   #3
Madshrimp

the time it takes to make a working automated XP install with all applications preinstalled is a lot more than 3 hours, including testing and verification
Old 18th December 2007, 19:36   #4
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

Something different, I like it

So many different OS now, XP will be hard to beat though, I'm so used to it that I don't want to put time in exploring something new although that Linux does look adventureous en refreshing at the same time. Must... resist... temptation...
geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2007, 20:26   #5
Madshrimp

very easy, just try to enjoy these games on Linux: Game of the Year Awards 2007
ooooh
Old 18th December 2007, 21:03   #6
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

That's a very good point, although that in some cases you can trade in your 8800GTX for last generation consoles
geoffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2007, 05:58   #7
goingpostale1

Nice article, I myself am still working up the courage to try Ubuntu again. Tried it and my Broadcom network driver problems were so time consuming I just went back to XP. After reading your article I am encouraged and I believe there is hope for linux in my future. I'm still sticking by my old adage of "Linux is only free if your time is worthless", simply because of all the time its going to take me to learn a new OS . However , I envy the fact you forged through in dealing with Linux in places where I gave up.

Nice Job, bosw8er
Old 19th December 2007, 09:59   #8
Kougar

Time spent learning to use a new OS is rather fun in my opinion. You learn different things.

Time trying to make the OS work for the simple little things that don't work but should is only worthwhile if your time is worthless and you enjoy bashing your head against the keyboard. I'll dink around with Linux, but until the day it works out of the box or inside 10 minutes I'm sticking to windows. Says the guy that mostly enjoys his black Vista, at any rate
Old 19th December 2007, 12:52   #9
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
That's a very good point, although that in some cases you can trade in your 8800GTX for last generation consoles
FPS games are PC only, consoles suck for FPS :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Time spent learning to use a new OS is rather fun in my opinion. You learn different things.
I rather have a working OS with I can do things the moment I want to do them , without having to digg up another howto guide or troubleshooting tips&tricks
Old 19th December 2007, 14:09   #10
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
I rather have a working OS with I can do things the moment I want to do them , without having to digg up another howto guide or troubleshooting tips&tricks
Never had that issue with Vista anymore than I have with XP. That was my problem with linux however, it doesn't matter what flavor it always required a guide to figure out how to do the simplest things like play a mp3 or get a linux video player to correctly install the various required libraries to make it work.