It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Power Supply Review PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Power Supply Review
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Power Supply Review

Old 1st December 2006, 23:25   #11
I Count My Cards

Default ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Mobo w/2 eVGA 7950GT 512MB GDDR3

Hello, Im very new to the power supply scene. However, I do realize that a lot of PSU's are misleading with the whole "SLI ready" and Multiple 12v rail claims. Anyways... Im building a new PC and I am not able to afford the 2nd SLI card (eVGA 7950GT 512MB GDDR3)... However, I am just making sure all my ducks are in a row b4 I purchase all of my parts. For the money... the only PSU I can really afford with the correct amount of amperes is the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750. Basically I was hoping some1 could tell me if the parts I have chose will work out with this particular PSU, for around $ 200 this is very steep for my pocket, but... I want to be ready for future SLI card. Or Maybe Some1 could recommend a cheaper PSU Solution. OK... here are my parts.

- ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
- Pentium D 945 Presler 3.4 Ghz
- 2 x 512 Mb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 - Sli ready <---- is sli memory a concern?
- 1 Sata II Western Digital 270 Gb HDD
- 1 EIDE Western Digital 250 Gb HDD
- 1 EIDE ASUS CD/DVD Burner W/ Lightscribe
- 1 EIDE Memorex CD/DVD Burner
- 4 Case Fans (LED)
- 3 UV Cold Cathodes
- 1 ATI TV Wonder Card (from my old PC )
- 1 eVGA 7950GT 512 GDDR3 (waiting for more $$$ for the second) {this card also requires 20 amps on +12v rail for 1 card and 28 amps on +12v rail for second card... does this mean a total of 48 amps are required on the +12v rail, if so will there be enough amperes leftover for everything else??? this is the part the really concerns me}
- PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 wt
- Possible Upgrade to a Water Cooling Solution (not till way down the road)
- All of this Stuff in a SilverStone TEMJIN Silver Aluminum Case

Oh... Sorry for the novel... but one more Part to this chapter LOL... I REALLY WANT LEDS!!! for my PSU... is it possible to swap out the 80 mm fan for a LED one??? Also what is the fan RPM speed, and CFM. How would one swap out a fan like that(im sure its not recommended)... or would it be ok if i just modded the PSU Case an added another fan? I know this may seem stupid but I WANT MY LEDS!!!

All in all... I would REALLY like to thank everyone for their paitence and taking the time to read my post. All help is very much appreciated and wanted.

ALSO I thought the review Liquid did on the PC Power & Cooling PSU was VERY good and VERY informative. GREAT JOB!!!!

-THANK YOU

Last edited by I Count My Cards : 7th December 2006 at 16:36.
Old 2nd December 2006, 00:01   #12
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

SLI memory has nothing to do with SLI as in dual graphics SLI, SLI for memory is rather a memory standard developed by Corsair and NVIDIA to help the memory and mobo cooperate better to offer the best timings at different memory speeds, so you don't need to manually tweak it to get the most out of it. you can see it as an advanced SPD for memory.

the things is though that this advanced SPD only works with motherboards which support it, that ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe is not one of them I'm afraid, but it's nothing to worry about.

your configuration will never go over 400W usage under maximum load, so the this PSU has got you covered.

about the LED fan, from the photo Liquid3D took I can't see any 3-pin connector for a fan, which leads me to believe it's hard wired to the power circuitry of the unit; since the fan is set to auto speed regulate depending on temperature and load, replacing it will remove that functionality; LED fans are known to be more noiser compared to their no-led brothers and since they are after market *bling* products and not quite industry grade fans, their failure rate compared to the 80mm fan coming with this PSU, is most defintely higher.

a sure way to get your PC to fry is by getting the PSU to overheat; best case scenario the PSU shuts down in time and all is good, next step is PSU fries and shuts down the system... or the 3rd... which is complete destruction.. I've seen this happen once (with a none-name PSU)... not a pretty sight.

I would consider putting a blinking neon light/bar somewhere near the PSU for any *bling* effect, this would not impact the cooling performance, but still look cool; you can paint the PSU exterior with UV paint to give it a more fancy look
Old 2nd December 2006, 01:49   #13
I Count My Cards

Default WOW... Great Response Time

You have been VERY informative and VERY helpful... I figured as much for the power supply... I'm going to put a 4 inch UV cathode by it... As For the Memory situation... Is it still ok if I use that Memory or will my system not boot and become unstable if I use that stuff, If so, could you suggest what type of DDR2 800 RAM would be good for this MoBo (ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe)... I am considering OC'ing a lil bit and I figured memory with a cas latency of around 4 or 3 would be good... I have heard Corsair is supposed to be good memory, However... If you feel that Corsair is not a good brand... maybe you could suggest another? I would like to get some stuff with some heat spreaders on it already (more cost effective for me that way and they LOOK COOL!)

PS. Sorry for the underlines... This is my second build of a computer... I just want to make sure EVERYTHING is OK. OH yea, I have some UV reactive paint for that PSU... its like 2 or 3 yrs old... but i figure if i shake it up real good... it should work LOL

- THANKS a BUNCH

Last edited by I Count My Cards : 2nd December 2006 at 02:00.
Old 2nd December 2006, 07:31   #14
[M] Reviewer

Gamer Freshly Registered

That memory will work without a problem.
Corsair is a good brand, and it has heatspreaders on the memory so that's ok.

Good luck.
Old 2nd December 2006, 09:02   #15
EsaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
your configuration will never go over 400W usage under maximum load, so the this PSU has got you covered.
Not even to 300W, 250W might be quite near practical max peak consumption.

That graphic cards peaks around 60W/5A

Quote:
best case scenario the PSU shuts down in time and all is good, next step is PSU fries and shuts down the system... or the 3rd... which is complete destruction..
Now isn't second scenario actually that PSU goes boom possibly taking some components with it... and third one being complete auto destruct.

Like said unless price is well higher it's quite sure that bling will be away from quality.

But if you're wanting quiet PC why you're even considering old, king of inefficiency&heat production, NetBurst CPU?
Even slowest Core 2 Duos practically wipe toilet seats with fastest NetBurst CPUs which produce over double amount of heat. And those can be overclocked quite far with quiet air cooling. (non stock HSF)
From noise perspective 120mm fan PSUs are also better because 80mm fan needs much higher RPMs for same airflow which leads to higher pitched more easily noticeable noise. (which dB measurements don't tell well)

For overclocking memory you should get something with Micron D9Gxx chips.
D9GKX chips are highest binned by Micron but with further binning memory makers get about same from D9GMH
XtremeSystems Forums is absolutely best place for finding which memories have those chips. (finding review of just that particular memory kit can be hard)

For standard clock speed Core 2 Duos DDR2-800/PC6400 memories provide enough bandwidth, faster memories start to benefit when CPU is overclocked. (increasing FSB bandwidth)
Old 2nd December 2006, 15:11   #16
I Count My Cards

Default Thanks To Everyone...

for helping me in my computer building decisions... I appreciate ALL of your input, and it helps me to better understand the nature of the beast. Thank you very much for your time, support, and most of all, your paitence. I seem to babble on and on about stuff when I dont understand it. I would also like to say that this has been a very fun and pleasurable learning experience for me. Again, Thank you everyone for helping me to make VERY informed decisions.
Old 2nd December 2006, 18:23   #17
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

let us know how your new PC turns out, post some pics of that *bling*
Old 3rd December 2006, 15:01   #18
I Count My Cards

Default Most Assuredly...

I will definately send some pics after I get my rig up and running, It wont be soon however. I have at least 2 more months left b4 I can round up all my cash for it... The grand total of this thing is a big chunk of cash for me, so... as soon as I get it built... the sooner I can send some pics. You guys can let me know what you think. Also, I have one more question... with all the cold cathodes Im gonna be using (switch controllers for them are PCI expansion), and im also using a PCI expansion slot exhaust fan, most of my PCI expansion slot will be filled. I have not found any type light controller panel for say my 3 1/2 bay or the 5 1/4 bay. Maybe some could point me in the right direction for a mod or controller panel for cathode lights. I have seen on light controller panel for 3 1/2 but its made by vantec only compatible with vantec spectrum cathode lights. I would like to put the switches in one of my bay drives. And Im not to sure on how I could go about doing that. More help on this situation would be very much appreciated.

- Thanks

- also... I spose I'm probly posting this stuff on the wrong thread... I mean this thread is for a PSU... not mods. LOL sorry. I probly should of read your forum rules b4 I started typing away. Sorry in advance.
Old 3rd December 2006, 15:46   #19
I Count My Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsaT View Post
Not even to 300W, 250W might be quite near practical max peak consumption.

That graphic cards peaks around 60W/5A
(hope I did the quote thing right....) Anyways I seem to have overlooked something... if that card only draws 60 watts/5a (not sure how he got the amperes part, although I know there is some simple mathematical formula to find that number... not sure what it is though) what would 2 do in SLI. And... does that mean I would be ok with XION Supernova XON-600R14-201 ATX 600W PSU or a KINGWIN ABT-600MA1W ATX 12V Ver.2.2 600W PSU? Although for the XION PSU that is a MAX peak of 600W not sure what the continuous is, same goes for the Kingwin. Boy it really feels like im getting overwhelmed here with choosing a power supply. That card recommends Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 20 Amps.) Minimum 500 Watt for SLI mode system. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amps.) OR... Should I stick with the PC Power & Cooling Silencer or maybe a cheaper version of it like PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous PSU? Please help me out here... Im starting to get real confused.

- as always THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by I Count My Cards : 3rd December 2006 at 16:00.
Old 5th December 2006, 17:09   #20
EsaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Count My Cards View Post
(hope I did the quote thing right....) Anyways I seem to have overlooked something... if that card only draws 60 watts/5a (not sure how he got the amperes part, although I know there is some simple mathematical formula to find that number...
P=UI
I=P/U

SLI about doubles that, especially idle consumption. In that aspect SLI is quite bad thing because it doubles heat production of GPU side even when doing nothing.

Quote:
Although for the XION PSU that is a MAX peak of 600W not sure what the continuous is, same goes for the Kingwin.
That makes them both stink big time. In quality PSUs peak values aren't used in anything, maybe except mentioning that for short time it handles 10-20% higher load than rating used to sell it.
PSU recommendations are just for these BS rated junks. Even one graphic card seller, BFG, sells such BS rated p.o.s PSU which starts to have serious problems after 50% of rated load! For comparison here's results of quality PSU under extreme crossload and light overload.

In reality 500W is enough for high end PC with 8800GTX SLI. Anandtech got ~440W as peak consumption of such (with Core 2 X6800). I would myself add ~20% of extra power reserve on top of that consumption.

I would suggest getting other PSU than PC P&C Silencer if low noise is important, while those are quite surely much quieter than their server PSUs BS... PR departments can't change laws of physics, like fact that 80mm fan needs much much higher RPMs for moving same amount of air as 120mm fan.
But one 12V rail (like in new Seasonic made PSUs) is definitely preferable over current limited virtual rails.

Is there any special needs you would want PSU to include? (like modular cables which would be handy in small cases)
Also what PSUs you have available there were you live?