It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
AMD and Intel Heatsink Roundup 2006 AMD and Intel Heatsink Roundup 2006
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AMD and Intel Heatsink Roundup 2006

Old 31st August 2007, 10:26   #21
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_gti-r View Post
If a properly matched stock Intel Pentium 4 COPPER CORE HSF had been used to measure an oveclocked Intel CPU I'd have been more impressed with this review.
send one over and I'll test it as it stands, the 524 P4 comes with the alu HSF and that's the one I tested, don't see anything wrong, sorry buddy :/
Old 3rd September 2007, 03:26   #22
ray_gti-r

Quote:
This cooler was provided with this CPU by intel...[/
Quote:
the 524 P4 comes with the alu HSF and that's the one I tested, don't see anything wrong
Again, maximum respect to madshrimps ... as always.

But I see two things wrong with these replies. In order of quote;-

a) classic assumption:- the stock Intel heatsink is matched to the CPU at standard MHZ. It clearly is not. Could Intel have supplied test hardware with a mismatch problem*? Faulty Intel fan*?
b) if you overclock, obviously you MUST upgrade the standard heatsink (DUH!). An Intel copper-core HFS is my recommendation (and maybe lap it to death & use ShinEtsu Microsi paste?).

I also see an - um - tester problem. If the stock Intel heatsink thermal pad was not used (maybe a thin, "high performance" paste was used instead?) and the stock Intel heatsink has a poorly-finished base (rough / convex etc) then there would be inadequate thermal contact with the CPU IHS.

I stand by what I said before ... to use a 20% overclocked "hot running 524" then complain that the stock heatsink/fan is "ear deafening" is complete rubbish. You need to check if the equipment is matched before making statements like this. Especially if you have not confirmed that the supplied heatsink is correct for the stock CPU speed ... and upped the CPU speed by 1/5th - which means _more_ than 1/5th heat generation due to thermal inefficiencies!

*Not your fault, of course. Intel have many suppliers of heatsinks (Sanyo Denkei, Foxconn, Mitac, Delta etc) so maybe they got this one wrong, maybe the fan is defective, maybe the heatsink base is very poorly finished. But I have heard of a 524 overclocked to 4ghz using a lapped all-aluminium Intel heatsink & fan.

Ray
madshrips fan - when it's rite!
Old 3rd September 2007, 04:20   #23
Madshrimp

don't quite agree with you but will add copper insert Intel HSF in next roundup
the 524 HSF is not defective, read the review again

"The Intel Stock cooling has a temperature regulated fan, trying to keep the CPU temperature below 60°C at all times, when we left the machine running for several HOURS at full load the fan was spinning close to 4300rpm and at 66.8dBA it’s ear deafening. If we only loaded the system for half an hour the fan would reach ~2500rpm this gave a more acceptable 50dBA noise level, on par with some of the other heatsinks tested."

that full alu HSF is still delivered for most models and the fan used a good indicator of noise level at different temp loads, the intel stock hsf has yet to impress me, AMD has, it took heat pipes and copper core; Intel HSF, not very good noise/performance wise, not at all.

Last edited by jmke : 3rd September 2007 at 04:23.
jmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:45   #24
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

Well I actually think there are good arguments on both sides :

- It is a fact that the Intel heatsink was not designed for heatloads like the one you're applying John. Hence the argument that it can "do nothing more but fail" is in my opinion correct. Therefor, I would not consider the Intel heasink a complete failure, but it's still too loud for my taste nonetheless.

- On the other hand : I think the argument to say that you can't test a piece of hardware (in this case the heatsink) for a purpose for which it was not designed (overclocking), is not correct. Two reasons : in my opinion it is not necessarily bad to test a piece of hardware over their spec, to see how it behaves and to see from what point on it would fail (be that noise, temperature or whatever). Second, and most important : the stock heatsink is what you get, and many people will go to work overclocking their cpu starting with this exact HSP. It is only natural then for a reviewer to take into account the performance of this HSP, to inform the people of its capacities.

All this just my 2c. of course

thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:12   #25
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgal View Post
- It is a fact that the Intel heatsink was not designed for heatloads like the one you're applying John. Hence the argument that it can "do nothing more but fail" is in my opinion correct. Therefor, I would not consider the Intel heatsink a complete failure, but it's still too loud for my taste nonetheless.
in the performance/noise sector it certainly doesn't score very high, small fan, high RPM after extended period of stress test, sorry, it's no good.
Old 15th September 2007, 01:44   #26
ray_gti-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
in the performance/noise sector it certainly doesn't score very high, small fan, high RPM after extended period of stress test, sorry, it's no good.
Make that an "out-of-spec stress test".

Then apply it to any piece of equipment.

That equipment will also be "no good" ... go figger.
Old 15th September 2007, 03:06   #27

Sidney Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_gti-r View Post
Make that an "out-of-spec stress test".

Then apply it to any piece of equipment.

That equipment will also be "no good" ... go figger.
The tree sounds when the wind blows you got it this time.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2007, 22:57   #28
Madshrimp

Intel stock HSF is no good. period. if you want silent computing.
Old 17th September 2007, 01:06   #29
ray_gti-r

To quote a rather more modern gem of wisdom ... Sayng it's so doesn't make it so.

I've got almost silent computing.
With a stock Intel heatsink.
Please re-read post #19 ... Since I made that post I've set my processor to stock speed (2.8ghz) and the stock Intel fan continues to run at 1,258rpm and the CPU shows 41C in Sandra Pro @ ambient 22C. My Abit 'board is reputed for overstating temperatures but that's fine with me - the Intel fan knows what's best for my CPU.

Despite the barracking I will always stand by what I said about this review - an under-spec Intel heatsink was used on an over-spec'd CPU. Result - noise. If I've got that wrong let's agree to differ and move on.
Old 17th September 2007, 05:10   #30

Sidney Freshly Registered

Intel E2140 Stock 1.6Ghz default @2.93 GHz
My 2x60mm exhaust fans in HTPC case are making more noise

50CM away from front 40.3dBA increases to 43dBA when the stock fan tops at 2,600RPM during OCCT stress run. Not silence, and I don't need too much below 40dBA because my ambient is around 38dBA. I live in a normal house with very little traffic, and 100 ft away from my neigbors.
Attached Thumbnails
amd-intel-heatsink-roundup-2006-screenshot001.jpg

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II

Last edited by Sidney : 17th September 2007 at 05:13.
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote