It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Seasonic M12 Modular 600W Power Supply Review Seasonic M12 Modular 600W Power Supply Review
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Seasonic M12 Modular 600W Power Supply Review

Old 20th December 2006, 16:43   #11

Sidney Freshly Registered

Using the same calculator the test system was at 432 watts using 80% utlization and 0 surge factor; with 50% surage factor it was 682 watts.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 20:59   #12
EsaT

Silentpcreview found both S12E+ and M12 models capable to starting without any load.
And 700W M12 I have here starts without load. (with that clicking sound mentioned in S12E+ review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Count My Cards View Post
WUsing the xtreme PSU calculator it tells my Peak wattage would be at 684 watts.(assuming xtreme PSU Calculator calculates for peak wattage).
That calculates BS... PR wattage applicable to non-quality PSUs, not peak wattage.

PS. For comparison around price 850W Enermax Galaxy which costs arm and leg surely loses for 600W M12 in game PC use because of its completely idiotic (and that's too mild word!) 12V rail distribution which doesn't leave even 400W available for graphic cards!
Old 20th December 2006, 23:53   #13

Sidney Freshly Registered

The two review samples started without load here.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 04:58   #14
I Count My Cards

Default I apologize im still not following you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsaT View Post
That calculates BS... PR wattage applicable to non-quality PSUs, not peak wattage.
calculates PR? whats PR... not familiar with that lingo. so extreme PSU doesnt calcualte maximum wattage used? What is it calculating then? In any case, What is the purpose of those links posted earlier back then... the ones about the PSU not able to draw enuf minimal power to boot up the PC? and the delay timings to prevent surges? What I mean to say is... if you guys are saying I can go with seasonic M12 without problems for booting up, what is the significance to those past links? ( i dont mean to sound patronizing, or condescending) I just honestly want to understand what this means... thats all. So if Extreme PSU Calc came up with 684 watts what does that number mean? and which model PSU should I go with out of these 3 seasonic M12 600, seasonic M12 700, or Corzair 620? Im sorry, Im just really confused, and when I buy all my parts for my pc i just really want to be able to get up and running as soon as the parts get mailed I appreciate your response in light of my "noobness"
Old 21st December 2006, 09:36   #15
EsaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Count My Cards View Post
calculates PR? whats PR... not familiar with that lingo. so extreme PSU doesnt calcualte maximum wattage used? What is it calculating then?
Marketing aka BushSh*t wattage, applicable to low quality PSUs whose ratings are exaggerated by BS departments.
In SilentPCreview forums there's people running PC with under 400W Seasonics when that calculator gives ~500W power requirements.

CPU and graphic card are only major power consumers so calculating consumption manually from TDP values/measured real consumption gives much more accurate results. (in normal PC rest of the parts would consume something like 50W)
So could you list components? (no need to list fans, and HD/optical drives only when there's more than one)

Quote:
In any case, What is the purpose of those links posted earlier back then... the ones about the PSU not able to draw enuf minimal power to boot up the PC? and the delay timings to prevent surges? What I mean to say is... if you guys are saying I can go with seasonic M12 without problems for booting up, what is the significance to those past links?
I would classify that as one of those "Heavenly bodies in wrong position"-problems... maybe those were from very early production lot.
Even the most known start problem PSUs, Antec Neo HEs (Seasonic made) have artificial load system for no load starting capability in later versions.

Quote:
which model PSU should I go with out of these 3 seasonic M12 600, seasonic M12 700, or Corzair 620?
Corsairs, Seasonic S12E+ and M12s are all based to same one 12V rail design.
S12E+ serie (550W and 650W models) is similar to original S12 serie, fixed cables (lot of) and 12cm fan. M12s have modular cables and secondary low speed 60mm fan for spot cooling front end's hot spot which more or less exists in all 12cm fan PSUs. Corsairs are little like between, modular cables (but flat cable type so don't bend in all directions) and 12cm fan.

Noise level of M12 is very slightly higher than that of others after 60mm fan starts (somewhere between 250-300W load but depends on temperature of PSU/cooling air) but at loads were difference would be bigger I don't think it would be noticeable over cooling noise of PC's components, also it should definitely help in cooling of PSU in case of less than good case cooling.
Components should be same in all so I'm not sure what explains considerably cheaper price of Corsairs... lesser testing in factory could be one reason. (propably one of the most time consuming=expensive phases in production)

At least if you're considering it possible that you have at some point top end dual graphic card PC in that case 700W M12 has one definite advantage, 4 PCIe power connectors. (8800GTX requires two connectors, like R600 based Atis propably do also)
Old 22nd December 2006, 04:24   #16
I Count My Cards

Default Well... If you would like a list of components

I beleive you have already posted a response in another forum thread of mine at JonnyGuru's. But, I can give you the link. Here you will find my list of components as well. Although, all of you have made a considerable contribution of knowledge to me. I believe im starting to FINALLY grasp this powersupply issue with myself. You all have been SO helpful. I cant begin to thank you enuf. I cant stand it when I dont understand the inner workings of things. And this just makes me feel more confident in my Rig when I do. So again, I wouldnt of gotten this far without your help.

-Thanks so Much, this has definately been a pleasurable and FUN learning experience.