It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
Stubborn Stock Cooler Stubborn Stock Cooler
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stubborn Stock Cooler
Closed Thread

Old 22nd June 2002, 10:36   #1
Alpha_7

Default Stubborn Stock Cooler

Hey All,

For a long time I have been trying to remove the stock HSF off my geforce DDR, but so far I have had no luck.

I have tried controlled brute force, I have tried freezing it for 6hrs and then using a butter knife to try and break the bond.

Its only resulted in sore hands, and they nearly a broke videocard. (Some nasty cruching sounds with some surface resistors).

Amazingly (its been in a car accident too) the card is still going strong, but I really want a better thermal connection then currently exists, and my BLORB is just dying to have a go at cooling her down so I can overclocker her more.

One suggestion I have had is use a Razor blade, another was to use a credit card, and someone else said trying twisting it, while others said not too... before I try anything else, I was hoping for some more suggestions.

Cheers,
Alpha_7

Old 22nd June 2002, 11:16   #2
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

Well, I've got a GF DDR too (creative), and it was indeed a b*tch to remove the crappy stock cooler, but is was worth it.

I didn't put it in the freezer (too little patience for that. ), I just slid a credit card under it and stuck a nice big screwdriver between it. Gently turn (yes, it makes an awfull noise...) and the stock HS will break off.

It will take hours to clean up the thermal adhesive though: i've spend approx 2 hours scraping it off with a sharp knife (once again, be gentle: don't scratch the chip itself) and 10 minutes lapping it.

It was worth the risk: max GPU OC with stock cooler was 143Mhz, max now (lapped, ASIII, Dangerden H²O block) without artifacts is 169Mhz.

With a 80W pelt, it goes even to 179Mhz without probs! Almost a 50% OC.
Old 22nd June 2002, 11:30   #3
Alpha_7

Mines a Creative too, I hope I can when I do get it off I can see a similar overclock with my card

Do u think freezing would make the credit card, twist operation safer or easier ?

Old 22nd June 2002, 11:33   #4
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

both

BTW: how high can you get your mem chips? Mine suck donkey balls: 329Mhz is the highest i can without getting artifacts. (huge memheatsinks don't help...)

I'm 4th at the ORB if i'm not mistaken, but all those around me have their mem oc'ed to 355~365Mhz :^/
Old 22nd June 2002, 14:20   #5
Alpha_7

I could manage 340 with mine, but I haven't really played around with it too much... wanted to get some decent cooling for it before I really gave it what for..

Closed Thread