Madshrimps Forum Madness

Madshrimps Forum Madness (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/)
-   Air - Water - Peltier - Phase Change - LN2 Cooling Projects (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f9/)
-   -   Simpele peltier upgrade voor waterkoeling (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f9/simpele-peltier-upgrade-voor-waterkoeling-69848/)

Twose 9th February 2010 11:02

Simpele peltier upgrade voor waterkoeling
 
1 Attachment(s)
I've been running WC for a while now, got a Core i7 960 and a HD5870 running in 1 loop with a 360 rad with Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000. It's cool but I need cooler.|D

Saw this company and the HME2009 fair in the netherlands where a company displayed their peltier cooling solution, their goal is to get peltier cooling to the masses by supplying an easy to mount peltier solution.

The only thing needed according to the company(MadMouse) is a 2nd pump and reservoir and ofcourse their unit. Power consumption isn't a problem, got a Silverstone Strider 1500Watt.

What are your thoughts on this thing, probablt going to get a 400Watt and 200Watt unit from them.

jmke 9th February 2010 11:14

there are some commercial products which use peltier to increase cooling performance, like the CoolIT product series; in my experience they don't offer a better performance/noise ratio compared to air cooling;

adding them to your custom water loop might drop the water temp a few degrees, but in my humble opinion the consumed wattage and extra cost is too high; if you want an upgrade from your WC; go phase change; entry level units are ~€400 and they'll offer noticeably lower temps;

we had several forum members here who used phase change cooling on their 24/7 workstations for more than a year; so it can be used for daily computing.

in the end though, the question would be: why do you want to run that Core i7 960 at lower temperature? a higher overclock , even if you manage to squeeze out an extra 500Mhz, won't translate into a real-world performance boost.

I would rather invest that money to remove another bottleneck, install an SSD, if you already have on, get a second bigger one :)

Twose 9th February 2010 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmke (Post 253866)
there are some commercial products which use peltier to increase cooling performance, like the CoolIT product series; in my experience they don't offer a better performance/noise ratio compared to air cooling;

adding them to your custom water loop might drop the water temp a few degrees, but in my humble opinion the consumed wattage and extra cost is too high; if you want an upgrade from your WC; go phase change; entry level units are ~€400 and they'll offer noticeably lower temps;

we had several forum members here who used phase change cooling on their 24/7 workstations for more than a year; so it can be used for daily computing.

in the end though, the question would be: why do you want to run that Core i7 960 at lower temperature? a higher overclock , even if you manage to squeeze out an extra 500Mhz, won't translate into a real-world performance boost.

I would rather invest that money to remove another bottleneck, install an SSD, if you already have on, get a second bigger one :)

I have considered the Coolit solution, but it is custom enough. I would need 1 for my CPU AND 1 for my GPU, 2 product from them equal over 800 euros. so id be cheaper with the above solution. It will even give me the option if i decide to cool my chipset and RAM.

The same goed for phase change, 2 big units to cool everything, I want MAX cooling and MAX performance in 1 case.

jmke 9th February 2010 11:45

Your GPU could use your current cooling setup, without the CPU in the loop, the temps will be quite low and you can easily OC and overvolt it; the GPU is not as hot as the CPU :)

Twose 9th February 2010 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmke (Post 253890)
Your GPU could use your current cooling setup, without the CPU in the loop, the temps will be quite low and you can easily OC and overvolt it; the GPU is not as hot as the CPU :)

The problem I've been facing isn't GPU Core temp related it's GPU voltera chip related, with my current OC of 1050MHz on the Core and some heavy stressing, the Voltera chips get around 90-100C with the Peltier setup I hope it will lower the temps to round-a-bout 70-80C giving me that little bit of extra headroom, especially with summer just around the block.

jmke 9th February 2010 11:54

you'd need a water block that covers all those areas, or add a fan and heatsink to those voltera chips

Twose 9th February 2010 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmke (Post 253899)
you'd need a water block that covers all those areas, or add a fan and heatsink to those voltera chips

the EK-FC5870 is a fullcover block that cools the volterra chips, but those chips are sheer madness. My water temps are already near ambient temperatures. But I need lower, the easiest way seems via the unit I mentioned earlier. |D

jmke 9th February 2010 12:12

have you tried the loop with the CPU? Maybe you can get away with a high end heatsink for the CPU (TR IFX-14 or Noctua nh-d14)

Twose 9th February 2010 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmke (Post 253907)
have you tried the loop with the CPU? Maybe you can get away with a high end heatsink for the CPU (TR IFX-14 or Noctua nh-d14)

Sorry I don't get what you're trying to say.

jmke 9th February 2010 13:09

Quote:

got a Core i7 960 and a HD5870 running in 1 loop with a 360 rad with Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000
remove the water block from the CPU, see if your WC loop handles the heat of the HD 5870 :)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:42.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO