It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
passive cooled HDD housing passive cooled HDD housing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

passive cooled HDD housing
Closed Thread

Old 8th March 2004, 22:33   #1
TeuS

Default passive cooled HDD housing

on #1 of my priority list: get my backup/linux machine up & running again. I'm using a 20GB HDD in it and it's pretty loud.

JMke hinted me he put an HDD of him in a CD rom drive, and so I've placed the HDD in a CDrom housing, stuffed with isolating mats. the HDD got isolated and the temps were high.

I'm building it in the drive now. not only it will be mounted inside with screws, it'll get some proper cooling too. I'll use aluminium profiles to conduct the heat of the sides (there the HDD creates most heat) to the top of the CD rom drive. I'll get another profile tomorrow and put those U profiles on top of the housing

I'm wondering, what thermal interface material should I use to improve the heat transfer? thermal paste is too expensive for this, because I'll have to cover about 120cm² for the Alu profile (connecting the external case and the HDD) plus about 200cm² for the heatsinks on top of the drive

so eh... what stuff would I need to improve the contact between the metal parts? it may only cost less then 5€ as this is a ghetto mod. it would be nice if the thermal interface material can fill pretty big gaps, because the side of the HDD is not flat and there are pretty big gaps in the side of about 1mm deep.

attach: scheme

Old 8th March 2004, 22:43   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

get some "white thermal goop" in your local hardware store, that should suffice for sure
Old 8th March 2004, 22:47   #3
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
get some "white thermal goop" in your local hardware store, that should suffice for sure
i've got an industrial tube here and it's still too expensive in my humble opinion. it's not the best solution, each time I change the drive it's a mess and I'll spill an entire tube on it

Old 8th March 2004, 22:50   #4
Madshrimp

there's tape out there that does almost the same, used between HS&memchips on videocards

but I don't know where you could get it though, maybe @ that same store?

Old 10th March 2004, 07:53   #5
IKilledMyAGOIA

yeah, the black phase change TIM would work between the bracket and the hd, but do you think just having it attach to the sides will transfer enough heat out?

Old 10th March 2004, 08:10   #6
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by IKilledMyAGOIA
yeah, the black phase change TIM would work between the bracket and the hd, but do you think just having it attach to the sides will transfer enough heat out?
good question!

the HDD is only 20GB and is thin, so it doesn't generate very much heat. when the HDD was in the CD-rom drive, it was isolated and the heat couldn't get away. the HDD was over 50° after a while, and the CD-rom drive housing was feeling warm too.

with this system I want to give heat at least a chance to get away, so it does not stay inside the housing creating a nice glasshouse effect

Old 10th March 2004, 10:15   #7
FreeStyler

greenhouse effect.

I also think ordinairy white goop is the best option.
If you're really planning on removing the drive that often, get a seagate.

Old 10th March 2004, 12:16   #8
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeStyler
If you're really planning on removing the drive that often, get a seagate.
that's against my principles!

Old 10th March 2004, 12:30   #9
Madshrimp

removing drives is against your principles? :wtf:
Old 10th March 2004, 12:38   #10
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
removing drives is against your principles? :wtf:
it's against my principles, for example: I buy a new harddrive because another hard drive I've bought is too loud

Closed Thread