It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
Modding the superflower sf402 for optimal aircooling Modding the superflower sf402 for optimal aircooling
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Modding the superflower sf402 for optimal aircooling
Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2004, 12:05   #11
wutske

It also has fans for for ur graka

Old 12th June 2004, 12:46   #12
TeuS

have you read the review? :wtf:

Old 12th June 2004, 12:47   #13
Vulk

Yes, but does it work good together with a vga-silencer?

Old 12th June 2004, 12:56   #14
wutske

Why wouldn't it ? It's only a fan that is hanging next to your graka.

Old 12th June 2004, 13:19   #15
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by Vulk
Yes, but does it work good together with a vga-silencer?
yep

Old 12th June 2004, 13:28   #16
Vulk

Oh well, I will try it first without and then see what happens.

Old 12th June 2004, 16:30   #17
Vulk

I did some measurements and I guess I will place 2 120 mm in the bottom. One straight on my Radeon and the other will be half under the hard drive and will blow some fresh air towards the top.

I'm not sure what I will do with the 80mm hole. Should I replace the originall with a better one or should I leave it like it is?

Old 13th June 2004, 06:57   #18

Sidney Freshly Registered

The secret in case cooling is actually very simple. Many case makers will get people to buy a case with lots of fans; because they sell well which not necessarily means good ventilation.

An article written by Bob Dyl (63 years old guy); the previous owner of systemcooling.com clearly states how a good case and fan placement should be; particularly in fan placement and fan speed setting.

Air will find its way out, like punching a tiny hole in a balloon; high pressure to low pressure. When only a single fan placed at the rear upper case; with the case closed the atmosphric pressure inside the case is no longer the same as outside the case; lower in fact inside than outside. We now have negative pressure inside with which any tiny holes around the case will become air passages with air being drawn in. This is the most cost effective way to cool; because it allows mother nature or physics to do most of the work. (more dust is created because dust in the air being sucked in)

The question is where should the small holes be. That could be found in older chassis where small vent holes were found on the lower side panel before side panel fans appeared on the market.

The front intake fan or front panel vent holes serve the purpose of cooling the HDD's. Secondly, it help assisting the air flow from cool to warm after passing the HDD; rising steadily absorbing surface components heat and drawn by the exhaust fan to exit the case.

The lower vent holes on the side panel; created by negative pressure drawing cooler outside air; rising towards the exhaust fan and along the path picking up surface heat. (this becomes the second path of air stream).

This is all accomplished with steady air flow which is different than air turbulence.

Air turbulence is a local event; such as the fan blades cutting through the air around them. The one area in ATX case design that "ruin" the steady air flow is in the CPU fan and exhaust area where the CPU fan is sucking air towards the heatsink while not far away the exhaust fan is trying to exhaust the same air molecules.

In short, the best air ventilation for case fan placements are:

1) Front panel intake.(fan)
2) Upper rear exhaust. (fan)
3) Top blower (very slow rpm) in assisting air lifting.(fan)
4) Vent holes in bottom of side panel.(no fan needed)
5) Vent holes at bottom of the case.(no fan needed)
The longer the path the better; as the air picks up more heat from larger surface.

Bad placement:
Any fan placed in the middle of the casing (open case situation does not count in this situation).

Important note:
The side panel fan blowing on to the graphic card does reduce the graphic card temp. But, it creates the turbulence that upset the case ventilation air stream(s) resulting to poor front to upper rear exhaust.

Don't forget getting the locales cool is only one side of the equation. The other side is to get the hot air out of the case. This is the very reason I could not commit to W/C.

Here are my reasonings:
1) A "Cold" processor highly overclocked demands for more power which comes from the board power supply (not totally the switching power we accustom to hearing/dealing) that generates more heat.
2) With highly overclocked processor, it would be a waste not to overclock memory; again generates more heat.
3) With all the investment already paid out; it would be normal to get the most powerful vcard; and overclock it also; resulting to more heat.
4) Running Raid 0/1 with three to four HDD's to make good use of the processor speed, resulting to more heat.

With CPU, GPU and NB being cooled either by water or refrigrated coolant, other components are neglected, namely the MOFEST resulting to premature failure.

Unless, the system is in a temperation control room like in many businesses; W/C or Vapor Chill partial components is not something that I would consider. I may as well construct an air conditioned/humidity control cabinet to house three to four systems; which is available on the market years ago (at a cost of about $12000).

My W/C could only look like this:

I am so damn long winded like a one track minded old man.

-------------------------------
Some will argue with three side panel fan blowing right on the board provides good result.

No arguments from me; if we think giving out a $10 bill to get $2.50 back is a good deal.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 13th June 2004, 09:20   #19
TeuS

great information lazyman. my silent machine has one intake (not cooling the hdd ), one rear fan and a PSU fan. as you said, CPU fan and outtake fans are working against each other. I was also planning to use a chillvent, and cutting a big hole on the bottom of the case so the fresh air gets sucked into the duct to the CPU. the PSU is with dual fans btw

that would make the rear & PSU fan more effective.I also noticed hot air was stacking up in the top of the case, the top panel actually feels warm. a top fan would do wonders here

Old 13th June 2004, 17:07   #20

Sidney Freshly Registered

Yeah, I'm working on some attractive pricing for forum members. Contact TerAngreal.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Closed Thread