Madshrimps Forum Madness

Madshrimps Forum Madness (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/)
-   Articles & Howto's (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f6/)
-   -   Thortech Thunderbolt 1200 Watt PSU Preview (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f6/thortech-thunderbolt-1200-watt-psu-preview-92572/)

Stefan Mileschin 2nd August 2012 08:01

Thortech Thunderbolt 1200 Watt PSU Preview
 
Thortech ??? Like most of the Memory companies, GeIL is also making Power Supplies under the brand name Thortech.

The Thunderbolt 1200 is a high end powerfull 80+ gold, semi modular PSU. Only 160mm in length. So it's sounds like a real contender for all the well known high end powerful PSU's. Let's bring on the [M] testbench set-up and compare what the thunder god has to offer.

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000225/

Teemto 2nd August 2012 13:54

Tsss child labor has been banned! ;-)

Lesaonar 2nd August 2012 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Mileschin (Post 284122)
Thortech ??? Like most of the Memory companies, GeIL is also making Power Supplies under the brand name Thortech.

The Thunderbolt 1200 is a high end powerfull 80+ gold, semi modular PSU. Only 160mm in length. So it's sounds like a real contender for all the well known high end powerful PSU's. Let's bring on the [M] testbench set-up and compare what the thunder god has to offer.

The actual testing methodology is laughable. Have you considered actually investing in a load testing unit? OC3D certainly has (just search for the Thortech Thunderbolt 1200 on youtube) and this PSU is one of the worst PSU's they've ever tested. It actually shuts itself down before it gets anywhere close to it's rated wattage. You do your readers no favours by using such shoddy testing methodology, especially when you end up recommending a PSU that can cause damage, due to the ripple issues, to the system it's used in.

Teemto 2nd August 2012 17:28

Although a big shrimpy fan myself, having watched the video, I have to agree with Lesaonar.
I'm in the energy branch myself and like stated in the video, you don't test a PSU with a multimeter. You don't need a fancy adjustable load bench either. A couple of fixed loads - at the output rating you want to test - is enough. Most important will be the scope, even an old analog one will suffice (provided it's been properly calibrated).

Stefan Mileschin 2nd August 2012 19:03

As far as I know, Peter will also test the PSUs at a separate location where they have professional testing tools.

Lesaonar 2nd August 2012 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Mileschin (Post 284170)
As far as I know, Peter will also test the PSUs at a separate location where they have professional testing tools.

Which obviously should be done before a review is posted, let alone one that recommends a product that can damage someone's system. This was sloppy testing/reviewing and something I'd expect from someone with limited technical knowledge.

Stefan Mileschin 3rd August 2012 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lesaonar (Post 284171)
Which obviously should be done before a review is posted, let alone one that recommends a product that can damage someone's system. This was sloppy testing/reviewing and something I'd expect from someone with limited technical knowledge.

The product award has been currently removed and will be reinstated if the tests from the lab will be good.

Lesaonar 3rd August 2012 16:59

The entire review should be taken down until the unit's been tested properly. The review should never have been posted until the unit was tested properly. It's common knowledge that you cannot properly test a PSU for reliability without knowing how it performs under load, putting a supposed 1200w PSU under 426w load is not putting it under any serious load, as well as knowing what the ripple is on the various rails.

I reiterate, this was sloppy testing/reviewing and is completely misleading in it's findings.

petervandamned 3rd August 2012 21:20

As we don't have a many K euro test unit here, we have to take them to a test lab. But we called this a Preview not a Review.

In the home situation what has been set up like a normal PC, I had no problems at all. Not sure why yours did.

Later the PSU will be tested at full max and then we add the articel from a pre to a re view.

jmke 6th August 2012 11:21

we know Lesaonar, reason why you don't see a lot of PSU reviews from the last few years, http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/category/15 we don't have the required load testing gear in-house :-/


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:46.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO