It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooler Review Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooler Review
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooler Review

Old 3rd October 2006, 17:11   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Thermalright Ultra-120 CPU Cooler Review

This huge heatsink from Thermalright with 120mm fan support fits both AMD K8, AM2 and Intel S775 system, in this review we compare it against the best out to see if Thermalright can reclaim the CPU air cooling crown. Read on to find out if they have succeeded.

http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=496
Old 3rd October 2006, 19:22   #2
Rutar

Conlcusion needs to be more brutal, Thermalright has FAILED to regain the crown and it is even heavier than the Ninia and it cannot boast easy installation either.
Old 4th October 2006, 03:57   #3
vassp

nice detailed work jmke,
to rutar.
HS reviews are a mixed bag, in some reviews the ultra 120 shows much better performance than the ninja. not saying jmke doesnt know what he's doing im just saying that there are a lot of different results out there. anyway im happy with my ultra120 (comapared to sotck HS) so far and im about to test it with a few different speed ADDA fans. just waiting for them to come in.
i think value for money the ultra 120 isnt that good. cost more than the ninja and without a fan too. good points instalation for me was easy.
Old 4th October 2006, 04:03   #4
vassp

i think ive got this HS and fan bug, all i wonna do is test fans and HS ATM, im going to buy another top end HS just to test the difference. i think i need help - does this site have online counseling.
anyway great work again jmke. cant wait for your other reviews to come in.
Old 4th October 2006, 04:05   #5
Rutar

Quote:
Originally posted by vassp
HS reviews are a mixed bag, in some reviews the ultra 120 shows much better performance than the ninja. not saying jmke doesnt know what he's doing im just saying that there are a lot of different results out there.[/b]
jmke already found out a possible reason for the differences, under small loads it performs the same but under large loads the difference will be larger
Old 4th October 2006, 10:37   #6
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

one could go through the different Ultra-120 on the web to see what CPU was used for test and what others HSF they tested it against
Old 4th October 2006, 14:13   #7
Rutar

most of them do not reach the wattage that is the critical threshhold for the Ultra 120 where its heatpipes start to be saturated (I think that is the reason for it, since the Scythe has more heatpipes)

+1 for your test setup for uncovering the existance of that threshhold which will come into play when overclocking a Conroe chip with more voltage
Old 18th April 2007, 23:31   #8
Church of Noise

Just found this (thanks for the link jmke).

Rutar,

Oddly enough, another review on a highly acclaimed site also tested max overclock that can be reached (I believe on a C2D of some sort) and in this test, the Ultra-120 was up there with the best. The extreme version even topped the best by 40 MHz. I don't say this to prove you wrong, just to point out that there is a discrepancy...

I don't know which one to get now... (seriously considering the scythe ninja rev.B btw)
Old 18th April 2007, 23:37   #9
Rutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church of Noise View Post
Just found this (thanks for the link jmke).

Rutar,

Oddly enough, another review on a highly acclaimed site also tested max overclock that can be reached (I believe on a C2D of some sort) and in this test, the Ultra-120 was up there with the best. The extreme version even topped the best by 40 MHz. I don't say this to prove you wrong, just to point out that there is a discrepancy...

I don't know which one to get now... (seriously considering the scythe ninja rev.B btw)
What good is a high overclock when the PC is loud?

I am saying, that for 99% of the people the quiet fan used in the madhrimps review is the best choice and what can be achieved with a loud fan is only desirable for people who want a to compete in air overclocking.
Old 18th April 2007, 23:50   #10
Church of Noise

I agree.

I'm looking for the most silent cooler for my system (non-oc'd E6600-based, but I do play the occasional game) myself. Don't care about the uber-oc results to be honest...