It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Removing the IHS from the Northwood-D Removing the IHS from the Northwood-D
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Removing the IHS from the Northwood-D

Old 12th September 2003, 16:00   #21
Liquid3D

WOW Those are excllent results! Very good. Of course now it's time to choose what paste will be ideal for your newly exposed core?

As a result of my Thermal paste article, I've recieved many educational emails. One thing I think I need to clarify. I made some comments inferring Arctic Silver may have been "laxidaisical" in their R&D. Someone who happens to know a great deal about the industry, and even about Arctic Silver made a very good points. Arctic Silver has not been reticent in their research, in fact ; "...they do more R&D then Nanotherm will ever do, or even be capable of..." He made a very astute point there, he also said, "Arctic Silver can't afford to release a product until extensive testing is done based upon their customer base. While Nanotherm is a relatively small company, and not nearly as large in their distribution, AS is much larger, not to mention the clientelle which Arctic Silver is a supplier to (i.e. NASA). Arctic Silver's paste must hold up under the most demanding conditions in the industry..." he also mentioned PCM+, and said I should take any old Aluminum heatsink I have, apply a few drops of PCM+ and put it in the oven at 350F. The take some Arctic Silver 3, and do the same, and I'd see some interesting results. I've not tried this yet. So without further adeau here's ome temps with PCM+ on my 2.8C at 250FSB 1:1, and 1.575Vcore (I found the 2.8C needs a litlle more Vcore to remain stable);
Old 12th September 2003, 16:38   #22
inteks

i use AS3 and its ok.
the temp's are lower that i ever think to get to.

i have done an extremtest (befor i remove the IHS)
i hold the fan and run and ut2003 bench.
the cpu slows down @ around 90°C. after i release the fan the cpuspeed goes up again.

you find many threads about the problem that p4-mainboard doesn't show's the correct temp.

i think the slowdown occur at 72°C that's the temp in intels datasheet

so if my mainboard reports temp's 20°C to high. then its 25°C for real (45-20) in idle!!! and i think i cant go below casetemp. thats impossible.

Today 16:32
btw: 166 is also a nize number!!! but prime95 fails at this speed!!!
i can play ut2003 till 173Mhz FSB

have fun
inteks
Old 12th September 2003, 17:18   #23
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

eXtreme indeed, talk about a cripsy burn-in at 90°C
Old 12th September 2003, 17:23   #24
inteks

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
ps: eXtreme indeed, talk about a cripsy burn-in at 90°C
i just wanted to know how far the cpu goes.
normaly no cpu runs stable at 80°C !!!
and the cooler was handwarm !
Old 12th September 2003, 17:31   #25
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

fixed
Old 29th October 2003, 05:36   #26
BigBen2k

I have a favor to ask...

If anyone has saved their 'removed' IHS, either from an Opteron or from an Intel processor, please PM or e-mail me the dimensions, will ya? (thickness is the figure I'm after!)

Alternatively, I'll cover the shipping (PayPal?), if you can send it to me!

Thanks to all! (Nice to be back )
Old 10th November 2003, 19:39   #27
Liquid3D

Sorry about the delay here's the pic you asked for. The edge of the IHS is twice as thick as it's entire surface. So if the edges are 2mm thick, the IHS is 1mm in thickness. Let me know if you need more photo's. I'm thinking about sedning this one to you, but first I must decide if I'll be removing another.

I want to put AS5 on the core and replace the IHS using AS3 Epoxy kit. I surmize this is the reason your looking for a replacement? You removed it, tossed it away, and now your having problems with heatsinks having stand-off's as the difference in height now prevents contact between P4 core, and heatsink?

You can sand down the stand off's 1.2mm, and you must also take that amount off the bottom of each screw as they "tap-out" in the bottom of the stand-off (nut);
Old 31st January 2004, 12:01   #28
Unregistered

Liquid3D......U hav an email regarding the P4 Heat Spreader.
Old 1st February 2004, 06:08   #29
Liquid3D

Got it. Here's an idea of the height of the P4 with/without IHS. For the SP-94 to seat properly, approximately 1-mm will have to be removed from the top of each standoff. Because the sprimg-mounted screws "tap-out" in the bottom of the stand-off's (which was prevents people from overtightening, hence damaging the chip) they will have to have approximately 1-mm sanded off from their bottom;
Old 1st February 2004, 07:08   #30
Unregistered

Liquid3D....the term regarding "stand-off" refers to the 4 screws or the mount bracket below the Mobo ? And we have to grind / sand 1mm off as well ? A pic refering to wat we have to alter would be the best. Thanx and sorry for the trouble.