It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Overclocking the Pentium M: Silent Powerhouse Overclocking the Pentium M: Silent Powerhouse
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Overclocking the Pentium M: Silent Powerhouse

Old 21st January 2005, 16:45   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Overclocking the Pentium M: Silent Powerhouse

One of Intel´s latest CPU runs at 1.6ghz, no there is no typo here, the Pentium M normally intended for laptops have been given a chance to shine in desktop systems also with the help of resourceful motherboard manufactures. We take a closer look at DFI´s offering to see how far we can overclock this new "Dothan" CPU.

http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=289
Old 22nd January 2005, 00:17   #2
Da_BoKa

excellent review agent#2!!

they are quite some beasts!
Old 22nd January 2005, 02:22   #3
Scottwmlewis

Default point of reference

I enjoyed your review of the Pentium M processor. Short and to the point.

Toward the end of the article you mentioned you didn't have time to test another system. But, wasn't that the whole point of your review?? ..... that the Pent M makes for a good alternative to the lastest toasters from Intel?

A quick check of the two other major review sites left me with little direct comparisons due to the different benchmarks used. But, I'm inclined to think the Pentium M 1.6ghz is really no better than an Athlon XP 2800+. Course, I could be totally off here.

The review was great as far as it went. But, ( and this is a real pet peeve of mine ) a review without some point of reference is practically useless.

Scott
Old 22nd January 2005, 02:26   #4
kristos

Shuttle SB77G5 Review
Old 22nd January 2005, 02:46   #5
kristos

euh vapochill and mach II? vapochill and prometeia (or those that now own prometeiea)

Well DFI and AOpen have are the first ones to come with motherboards supporting this mobile CPU - have are ?

Can you do some voltage modification on the board with the help of resistors and excellent soldering skills to overcome most of the limits

but a little birdie told me... lots of reviewers with birds these days :grin:

so might want to think twice

Although I had some problems getting their

ut with a room temp of 22-23°C the CPU never over hit!

These chips are totally the opposite from Intel’s “bake oven” Prescotts, as don’t consume much power, even lower then an ordinary light bulb

and a compatible motherboard costs at least as much: $250!.

editor, edit!!

and I disagree, with the conclusion: yes it's rather expensive but it's able to keep pase or even surpass those 1000$ cpu's on some points.

macci gets to see the highest scores in the doom3 bench with his dothan, beating his 3.4EE and FX!!

also, the Aopen costs less then the DFI, currently ~230€ at crazycamel
Old 22nd January 2005, 08:20   #6
SuAside

very nice review.

does anyone know why there is a PCI-X slot on the mobo though? that's gear for workstations and stuff, weird to see it on an overclocker board.
Old 22nd January 2005, 10:25   #7
agent #2

Thx for the comments, it's my first review ever.

PCI-X slot can be used for sata raid controllers I heard.
Old 22nd January 2005, 11:06   #8
agent #2

Default Re: point of reference

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottwmlewis
I enjoyed your review of the Pentium M processor. Short and to the point.

Toward the end of the article you mentioned you didn't have time to test another system. But, wasn't that the whole point of your review?? ..... that the Pent M makes for a good alternative to the lastest toasters from Intel?

A quick check of the two other major review sites left me with little direct comparisons due to the different benchmarks used. But, I'm inclined to think the Pentium M 1.6ghz is really no better than an Athlon XP 2800+. Course, I could be totally off here.

The review was great as far as it went. But, ( and this is a real pet peeve of mine ) a review without some point of reference is practically useless.

Scott
I don't have a second (recent) rig to compare with.
Old 22nd January 2005, 14:21   #9
kristos

another one:

The main disadvantages though is the price,

anyways well done for a first review agent#2
Old 22nd January 2005, 20:33   #10
SuAside

Quote:
Originally posted by agent #2
PCI-X slot can be used for sata raid controllers I heard.
jup, you're right, completely forgot about that. although i doubt more than 0.01% of the users will ever buy such uber high end gear.

still think it's a weird move from DFI. although it's possible it barely more expensive than a normal slot. (& it's backwards compatible, so no one will complain)