It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
DDR3 Roundup: New Elpida Kits from OCZ, Mushkin and Corsair DDR3 Roundup: New Elpida Kits from OCZ, Mushkin and Corsair
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DDR3 Roundup: New Elpida Kits from OCZ, Mushkin and Corsair

Old 9th August 2009, 22:09   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default DDR3 Roundup: New Elpida Kits from OCZ, Mushkin and Corsair

Sometimes there's more to a memory module than meets the eye : Corsair Dominator and Mushkin Redline modules have always looked better than nice, and now they have the performance to match. We put these two against the OCZ Blade, a real high end kit based upon Elpida's "hyper" chips, and against our 8 previous triple channel kits, in order to get a good view of the Core i7 memory landscape to date.

http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=928
Old 9th August 2009, 22:55   #2
[M] Reviewer

Massman Freshly Registered

I know I've said it already and you don't really like people saying it that much, but this is a HIGH-QUALITY review, Thorgal!!
Old 10th August 2009, 09:33   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

not many (if any) out there match his testing method and thoroughness
Old 10th August 2009, 11:38   #4
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

Thanks guys, but no need for such praise.

I hope our readers will enjoy the article, and hope that it helps them decide which memory kit to get. There's a kit out there for every budget

thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 17:42   #5
Mike89

I have a question. The article references two revisions of the Corsair ram, 2.1 and 2.2. I just purchased some of this memory (3 2 gig sticks kit) and the revision I have is 3.2. So where does that fit in this article?
Old 12th August 2009, 19:27   #6
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
I have a question. The article references two revisions of the Corsair ram, 2.1 and 2.2. I just purchased some of this memory (3 2 gig sticks kit) and the revision I have is 3.2. So where does that fit in this article?
Hi Mike, welcome.

Corsair has a way to number their revisions by the kind of chips used in the modules. A 2.X revision means we're talking Elpida based ram, 3.X revisions means a "Micron" chips based ram kit.

For a complete list look at the excellent ramlist from i4memory.com

thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 00:53   #7
Mike89

So are the 3.2 chips not as good as the 2.2 chips in the review?

That link doesn't really cover this memory.

On the sticks of my Corsair, everything is exactly written the same as in the picture shown on the review. The ONLY difference in wording is the revision number.

Last edited by Mike89 : 13th August 2009 at 00:58.
Old 13th August 2009, 01:50   #8
[M] Reviewer

leeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registered

PN ends with V3.X stands for Micron IC's used... if they are better or worse you have to tell us... might be that yours scale good too with some added voltage... (be carefull though)
Old 13th August 2009, 02:37   #9
Mike89

Personally I don't plan on pushing it. I'm running an I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (with turbo on) running the ram at 700 @8-8-8-24. I'm quite happy with that as my system is fast, stable and cool. I'm a conversative overclocker, I want some extra speed but don't have a burning desire to see how far I can go before I burn it up! Heh heh. Going higher than what I'm getting most likely isn't going to give me anything more than I have that I would notice anyway except a lot of heat and shorter life. I'm not one of those guys that has to hit a certain number just to say I did. My overclock and subsequent system performance has put a big smile on my face and that's good enough for me.

I was just curious about the difference in the revision number and why the review didn't mention it being it was the same ram (just different revision).

Last edited by Mike89 : 13th August 2009 at 02:44.
Old 13th August 2009, 06:00   #10
[M] Reviewer

leeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registered

Since you run them 200mhz below specs you can try to stabilise Cas 7-7-7-20, for that little bit extra...