It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
CPU Heatsink Roundup Q1 2006 CPU Heatsink Roundup Q1 2006
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CPU Heatsink Roundup Q1 2006

Old 25th April 2006, 21:27   #21
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I don't think it will perform better/worse, rather "on par", its design is not very different from the XP-120.

you'll have a hard time finding a compact heatsinks which will fit inside a small case that offers good noise/performance balance with higher heat output generating hardware.

water cooling would be ideal, but if that is not possible maybe try a few duct mods, guiding fresh air to the CPU cooler and shielding the VGA card area from the CPU area so the two don't influence each other causing higher CPU/GPU temps.

the design of the SG01 will make it an interesting challenge to see how silent you get can get it, without overheating the components inside. Placing a large 120mm fan at each side which blows air through the case would cause temperatures to drop immediately and running them at 5v will keep things silent.
Old 25th April 2006, 21:30   #22
Laagvliegerke

Quote:
Originally posted by Laagvliegerke
I'm waiting for reviews
*hint* *hint*

Maybe it was just a bad idea to build a silent system with 60mm casefans I just didn't understand why Silverstone didn't use 80 mm fans. It is possible with some kind of airduct. But a couple of weeks after I bought my SG01, Silverstone announced the SG01 Evolution (a SG01 with 80mm fans)...
So why I choose a SG01 then? Because it's the only good looking case that allow the use of a standard mATX motherboard and ATX PSU
Old 25th April 2006, 21:40   #23
Madshrimp

mod the case, add 2x120mm fans at each side, GlobalWins @5v , set it and forget it, your case temps will drop and noise won't increase.

Mail was send to Silverstone for review of the new cooler the moment the press release landed in my inbox, had no reply yet :/
Old 25th April 2006, 22:12   #24
Laagvliegerke

It's annoying I can't edit
Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
I don't think it will perform better/worse, rather "on par", its design is not very different from the XP-120.
That's what I thought. Two degrees wouldn't make a difference. But maybe it performs better because the heatsink is higher than the XP-120 so air is sucked better through the sink by the PSU.
Quote:
you'll have a hard time finding a compact heatsinks which will fit inside a small case that offers good noise/performance balance with higher heat output generating hardware.
I know Of course i could buy a heatsink like the Zalman 7000-Cu (don't think a 7700 would fit and I sold my 7700 a couple of months ago). But then I need to replace my PSU because the 120mm fan of the PSU and the fan of the 7000 wouldn't work very well together Or i could buy a heatsink with a normal fan and flip the fan so it sucks air through the heatsink toward the 120mm fan of the PSU. But a heatsink with fan = more noise

Quote:
water cooling would be ideal, but if that is not possible maybe try a few duct mods, guiding fresh air to the CPU cooler and shielding the VGA card area from the CPU area so the two don't influence each other causing higher CPU/GPU temps.
Somebody at GoT has asked me to measure this case because he is going to try to fit his complete watercooling in a SG01. But that's a disaster if you ever want to replace hardware And no more watercooling for me...
I was thinking of buying a silencer for my future GPU. That would be ideal because hot air from the GPU is blown directly out of the case. But is seems Arctic isn't going to make these for the 7600GT (or 7900GT). Maybe modding an Silencer6 rev3 is an option...

Quote:
the design of the SG01 will make it an interesting challenge to see how silent you get can get it, without overheating the components inside. Placing a large 120mm fan at each side which blows air through the case would cause temperatures to drop immediately and running them at 5v will keep things silent.
Yep, I think this is a personall challenge I think the system is pretty silent, right now. The loudest part in the case is the Zalman VF700-Cu @ 5V, it makes a strange noise (in my opinion). I should find somebody else with a VF700 so I can test if all the VF700's make that noise @ 5V.
And I don't want to **** up the design of the SG01 by cutting large 120 mm holes in the sides. I think it's pretty stylish right now

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
Mail was send to Silverstone for review of the new cooler the moment the press release landed in my inbox, had no reply yet :/
I mailed them a couple of months ago, never received an answer A minus for customer support!
Old 26th April 2006, 22:25   #25
Laagvliegerke

I found a review of the NT06. But the pictures aren't working Like I said before, I think this cooler performs better in the SG01 than the XP-120 because there's almost no air gap between the PSU (with 120 mm fan) and the NT06.
Although it's not a cheap cooler, I hope you receive an answer of Antec!
Old 26th April 2006, 22:33   #26
Laagvliegerke

Damn, [url][/quote] doesn't seem to work
I found another link. Same article, different site:
http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/articles/show/782/1
Old 26th April 2006, 22:51   #27
Madshrimp

I have the NT03 here for testing, received back last year, but in a normal sized case it offers a very (very) bad performance/noise ratio. NT06 has a much better design, and the CPU temp drop is acceptable, their results are solid.

their same content, different site idea is to have more banners space without having the write more content. there are more sites out there which do this,
Old 16th May 2006, 17:30   #28
teki

Quote:
the Ninja will allow you to run dead silent, with a single 120mm fan at very low speed; up to you if dead silence is of importance; [/b]
Hmmz even when encoding DVD's?

~ 7 hours @ 100% load
Old 16th May 2006, 17:51   #29
Madshrimp

the temperatures mentioned in the review are from CPU @ 100% until temperatures no longer increases; something like

57 56 57 56 56 57 57 57 56 56 57

so to answer your question, yes even after 7 hours load the Ninja will keep your CPU cool.
Old 16th May 2006, 21:46   #30
TooNice

Looking at the May round up, it seems there are quite a few alternatives (low noise, great performers). But the height is still a concern. Does anyone know which HS/fan would fit a CM201/210 Coolermaster range of case?