It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH

Old 19th March 2005, 19:03   #211
Kerry

Hi Victorious25:

Longtime no read.

Re:
Quote:
If you think I shouldn't install SP2, then I would appreciate a site that will let me download SP1.
I read on Chaintech's site that the BIOS version before this most recent update, specifically addressed "SP2" issues. I've been experiencing lots of stability running both XP Pro w/SP2 and the most recent BIOS.

You're lucky because you can upgrade directly to SP2 without adding fixes that would have to be written over or deleted if you were doing it with SP1 already unstalled. What's nice about the Control Panel> Add/Remove list now is that there are far fewer fixes/security bugs because MS combined lots of them into SP2. I also opt to have MS look for, download and install new upgrades. It's been working perfectly. I've read that it's a big security risk not having the SP2 installed. It also now defaults to "Firewall on".

Kerry

PS. I forget what your video card is but lots of seemingly unrelated problems disappeared when I labored through the complete uninstall process nVidia recommends and clean installed their most recent version 66.93.
Old 19th March 2005, 19:18   #212
Kerry

Hi biomuck,

I'm not certain that it "can't be the MOBO." When they RMA'd mine I noticed that the serial number was a very early one and that it had minor dust corrosion on parts that are normally shiny on a new MOBO; in other words, they sent me a refurb—a bit disappointing because there's no way of knowing how many hours are already on it or how they will/would pro rate it time-wise if it dies within a year. It was such a relief to get the replacement, all the problems I had posted about for almost a year disappeared. If it were not for Chaintech's atrocious tech support I'd be raving about my 9cjs.

Kerry
Old 10th June 2005, 04:20   #213
Jesiah

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
a .rar tip exerpted from my last email to Chaintech. I used the www.rarlab.com utility to open the .rar they sent me. It opened them to .exe's.

===============
>>> I created a bootable floppy and dragged af829e.exe and 9cjs511.bin to it.
>>> (both had been extracted using your recommended www.rarlab.com).
>>>
>>> But when I rebooted and inserted at the prompt
>>> A:>af829e.exe 9cjs511.bin
I got, "Cannot be run in DOS mode."

>>> So, I tried Alt + F2 and voila, it automatically found the 511
version on the floppy.
>>> My BIOS now reads 6.00PG 05/11/2004

============

Hope this helps a bit.

Once Chaintech acks your request it usually takes about 7 days to get a reply and then a few more emails to get a solution— if you want I can forward you the BIOS via an email attachment. You might have to change your email/security settings to allow attachments.

Kerry
Mind if you drop me an email with all that info man? I could REALLY use that file. All I could locate on the chaintech site was the same name, but with G instead of E. I'm guessing this is something to do with language, and ffs I don't want to mess with bios in a language I don't understand =P

Anyway, if you can do that, I'd be much abiliged. If my email doesn't show up, it's JesseRoughnight@hotmail.com

(Hopefully these forums aren't too old) T_T
Old 10th June 2005, 06:24   #214

jort Freshly Registered

can you change your mail to JesseRoughnightathotmaildotcom

there are emailsearchbots
Old 10th June 2005, 09:55   #215
Kerry

Hi Jesiah,

Here's the URL to Chaintech's most recent BIOS (version 8.0 12/29/04 9cjs0c29.bin as of 6/9/05)http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/D...No=4&PISNo=144

Here's the URL to Chaintech's most recent Award Flash Utility (version 8.24g NO DATE as of 6/9/05) http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/D...No=6&PISNo=144

When you enter the AW Utility enter it as aw824g.exe (although there's no need to add the .exe. Enter the BIOS as 9cjs0c29.bin

Once you've upgraded the AW Utility and the BIOS you'll notice on the first line of the BIOS window that the AW Utility reads either version 6.0 or 7.0 (not 8.0 as it's supposed to be). They have know about this error for about 6 months and have yet to fix it.

With aloha,

Kerry

FYI: Chaintech's warranty for MOBO which is not posted on their web site). The 12 month warranty begins the day you buy it and no matter how many RMA's the warranty is only good for 12 months from that beginning date. For example: If you buy your MOBO on 1/1/05 and it works for 8 months and then breaks and they authorize you an RMA they will send you a remanufactured MOBO but it only has 3 months left on the warranty (not 4 months-see below). Then if that MOBO breaks in two months, which it did for me, (I've had to return two MOBO's) then the next remanufactured board has only 1 month left. The reason for only "3" months and "1" month remaining on the warranty is because it takes about 30 days from your first email describing the problem to when you have a replacement.
Old 10th June 2005, 12:15   #216
Jesiah

I would edit it, but the site says I can't. Gaeh.
I tried everything with the mobo.

I failed to mention that the bios would not even boot up, and I ran through the manual and double checked everything. All of all was connected and running, LED's, jumper cables, all of that crap.

I decided to dismantle it, probably voided any possible warranty I MAY have had. (I ordered from newegg) and the chip in the middle of the board was burned out. Burned, melted plastic. W00T! -_- It kind of pisses me off that **** like that happens, after initial bootups. It's especially annoying to not once see the bios screen.

I wasn't very happy. Thanks for all the help, but they're going to get a battered box + dead mobo and a sarcastic as hell letter with thoughts and inquiries as to why it just isn't working.

Whether it was the burned out mobo, or the screwdriver that had it's own personal loving way with it. =P
Old 10th June 2005, 21:00   #217
Kerry

Hi Jesiah,

I feel for you.

In your RMA letter explaining your problem ask what the warranty will be on the MOBO they send you. I would think that their techs aren't too proud of their warranty policy for RMAs, that it's not fair. Presently there's no built-in motivation for them to raise their quality control standards for remanufactured MOBOs. I can't find their warranty info on their web site. NewEgg doesn't publish the warranty saying that Chaintech handles it. I don't know how other MOBO companies handle their RMA warranties. Perhaps Chaintech's is the standard. I think a replacement board should have the same 1 year warranty—that any untweaked board should last at least one year without failure. I have never tweaked mine.

Tip: Keep you letter to them strictly to the facts in narrative chronological order. I did this. Then I did this, and this is what happened. etc. Emotions and suggestions and make-wrongs are completely wasted on them. They simply aren't interested in improving their service or their manual. And, because English is not their first language, nonpertenant comments/thoughts confuses them, and it upsets them. Make-wrongs cloud the issue, they keep them from getting the main message, the truly significant part of the letter. Use simple sixth-grade sentences without clauses or compounds. If you write something insulting, something that reminds them of their inefficiency or lack of commitment to service, they pay you back for their upset by making you wait for a reply. I've also discovered that it's best to only ask one question in a letter.
Old 26th June 2005, 03:51   #218
Neo_obs

Default Sound Problem

I have a sound problem I noticed it doesn happen if im listening to stuff thats already on my computer or that is running through the line in cable. But mainly when im listening to internet radio(i.e. Yahoo's LAUNCHcast) I get a crakling noise only when I open a new IE window or when I am doing something in IE. Im not sure if this is in the right section but it only happens on this mobo and I cant figure it out. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

For your info I have deleted all cookies and cleared all my temp and cached files. I have upgraded everything. Let me know if there is something else Im supposed to do or I left out. Thank you.
Old 26th June 2005, 09:53   #219
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

try to change your PCI latency setting of the videocard more details here

PowerStrip can help you do this
Old 26th June 2005, 09:54   #220
Kerry

Hi Neo_obs,

I know virtually next to nothing about the sound, except through lots of fiddling I got my 5.1 speaker to work beautifully. I thought I'd post something to forward you.

My understanding is that there is an onboard sound chip, and, the multi media card (PCI type of card) that Chaintech includes with the 9cjs. You might want to check and make sure the onboard sound is selected enabled (via the BIOS).

Make sure you have the most recent VIA driver from Chaintech's web site. There's a post here that explains it.

There's also a diagram among these posts that shows how to wire the CBOX3.

Are your speakers plugged into the front port or the rear ports of your PC? Does the noise happen with both front and rear ports?

I had crackling once and it was because I had my Total Recorder utility set incorrectly.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Kerry