It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH

Old 29th October 2004, 23:00   #131
Kerry

I need power supply advice for my 9cjs rig.

Chaintech support says that the reason I'm losing the ability to boot from "Any Key" is because of my power supply (an inexpensive 400 watt one that came with an inexpensive case).

What happens is, I set BIOS for booting from "Any Key" and it will work for a few days and then pressing any key won't start it. I have to resort to using the power-on button on the front of the case. I then go into BIOS and do the same dance again, it works for another few days.

Using a batt meter the batt is OK.

Previously Chaintech support said that the problem was the BIOS which I now have their latest — 6.00PG 05/11/2004.

I don't mind buying another power supply if in fact this is the source of the problem. I'd be upset if I forked over approx $100 and I ended up with the same problem.

Anyone know if what Chaintech says is possibly correct?

Here's my power load.

I have two 10,000 RPM Raptors in RAID 0 and one WD 80GB ATA hard drive, one DVD player, one CD player, and a nVidia GE Force 5600 graphics card, and a Intel P4 3.0c processor, and 1 GIG of SDRAM.

Here's the power supply I have in mind:

ENERMAX Noisetaker Series 470W Power Supply, $83.00 —from NewEgg http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...103-446&DEPA=1 (because they charge $6.50 shipping to Hawaii whereas most others charge $15-$25). description=17-103-446&DEPA=1

Does this sound like a good PS for my MOBO and load? If not, suggest another please.

From what I've read 400 watts should be handling my devices very well, so 470 watts should really do the trick.

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Kerry
Chaintech 9cjs
XP Pro
RAID 0
BIOS = 6.00PG 05/11/2004
I have never over clocked the MOBO
BIOS, PC Health, shows all the voltages to be acceptable.
Old 1st November 2004, 18:03   #132
BeBopLoco

Icon1

I don't know about the cause/effect relationship b/w power and your problem. I do know that I have a 430W Antec PSU and it easily handles my system: Plextor DVD writer, 5 Maxtor HDs, Audigy 2, Radeon videocard, and 4 case fans. The Enermax seems plenty juiced.
Old 1st November 2004, 18:05   #133
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

400Watt is enough to power your system for sure, you have to have a pretty wild config to surpass 400W.
Old 1st November 2004, 19:45   #134
Kerry

Thanks jmke and BeBopLoco,

Yah, I don't know what to do. Chaintech support first said it was the BIOS and so I upgraded the BIOS, now they say it sounds like the PS. I'm thinking they'll stop looking for anything else until I tell them I've replaced the PS.

I'm inclined to think it has something to do with the BIOS because one other setting doesn't stay selected, "Flash BIOS Protection" keeps reverting to Disabled. No doubt I'm misunderstanding it.

Strange that "Any Key" would work perfectly for a month and then not.

I'm getting close to the end of my one-year warranty for the 9cjs.

Chainntech has gone back to its delayed email replies. They were doing well for a few replies.

Any suggestions?

Kerry
Old 2nd November 2004, 21:58   #135
BeBopLoco

Icon1

I'll check when I get home, but I think you want the Flash BIOS Protection set to disabled---check the "what's this" info in the BIOS screen.

To me, it sounds like a BIOS, not PSU, issue, but I'm hardly an expert. For those more expert than me, could it be a Windows issue?
Old 2nd November 2004, 21:59   #136
BeBopLoco

Hey Kerry, as an aside, are you flooded out? I saw the news.
Old 3rd November 2004, 01:23   #137
Kerry

The flood was on Oahu, I'm on Hawaii, the Big Isle, no actual flooding here. Thanks for asking.

I can't see how it could be a Windows prob because XP Pro has yet to load when the PC power is completey turned off via a strip power switch. Am I correct about this?

I'll set the Flash BIOS to disabled.

Do you know of another Forum that has 9cjs posts? I sure as heck don't want to shell out for a PS if that's not the problem.

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 3rd November 2004, 01:29   #138
Kerry

Any any idea why the top USB port would not notice my scanner but when I plug it into the lower USB port it works. Both top and bottom ports recognize my USB keyboard. I'm referring to the two USB ports on the front CBOX3 panel. Is one of those ports for 1.1?

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 5th November 2004, 15:24   #139
BeBopLoco

Is the port recognized at all? Did you check wiring (hardware)?
Old 5th November 2004, 15:28   #140
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBopLoco
Is the port recognized at all?
"top and bottom ports recognize my USB keyboard"

can be caused by USB 1.1/2.0 port, have noticed same quircks on other motherboards also