It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Articles & Howto's
Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chaintech 9CJS ZENITH

Old 29th September 2004, 20:37   #111
Kerry

Just went through the reset JP1 and flashing BIOS game with my 9cjs. It fixed all sorts of problems. It's rock steady and operating just like a store-bought computer now.

No problems here with SP2.

FYI: I believe the BIOS Chaintech has on their webiste might not be the latest. The latest being version 5/11/04. They sent it to me via an email attachment name = 9cjs0511.rar. They also sent to me, via email, an upgraded AWFlash, email attachment name = af829E.rar.

jmke, your help has been invaluable, thank you,

Kerry
Old 29th September 2004, 21:15   #112
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
It's rock steady and operating just like a store-bought computer now.
but twice as fast

about the sound issue, I'm unable to help you BeBopLoco, sorry, don't have the board anymore, nor a 4.1/5.1 surround set. BIOS does not hold extra audio options afaik, just enable/disable sound.

but I have read a lot of problems in general with surrounds sets and rear channel, no matter what soundcard/motherboard. Might need some experimenting; try to search google for those issues in general; send off an email to chaintech tech support, although they are currently understaffed (as far as I can tell by reaction times in general for general & tech inquiries)

concerning " (too active, I think--is this the problem? a jumper somewhere?). "

no jumper to control that, try in windows audio properties, advanced controls; and lower BASS, have the same "issue" with 2.1 set I have hooked up to cheap SB Live! card.
Old 29th September 2004, 21:29   #113
BeBopLoco

Thanks for the replies, JMKE and Kerry.

The latest bios on Chaintech's site is v6, which is 9cjs0225.exe. (This is also what I got on disk with the board). I don't know if that nomenclature translates 1:1 for ".rar"; if it does, you're right about the site's bios being old. In addition, I think the date on the v6 is also 2/25/04, so the one you were emailed seems newer.

I will email Chaintech support for the newer BIOS and Flash, and see what wisdom they can spill on the rear audio issue. I've done the experimenting and googling. I'll let you all know what happens!

Thanks again for the help---BeBopLoco appreciates your time and expertise.
Old 29th September 2004, 21:30   #114
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

if you find an answer to the audio problem I would appreciate it a lot if you could post it here, in the meantime I'll also take a look around when I have a few minutes to spare. thanks for stopping by;

welcome to the forums and the -ness
Old 29th September 2004, 21:55   #115
BeBopLoco

Will do, MadShrimp.
Old 29th September 2004, 21:57   #116
Kerry

a .rar tip exerpted from my last email to Chaintech. I used the www.rarlab.com utility to open the .rar they sent me. It opened them to .exe's.

===============
>>> I created a bootable floppy and dragged af829e.exe and 9cjs511.bin to it.
>>> (both had been extracted using your recommended www.rarlab.com).
>>>
>>> But when I rebooted and inserted at the prompt
>>> A:>af829e.exe 9cjs511.bin
I got, "Cannot be run in DOS mode."

>>> So, I tried Alt + F2 and voila, it automatically found the 511
version on the floppy.
>>> My BIOS now reads 6.00PG 05/11/2004

============

Hope this helps a bit.

Once Chaintech acks your request it usually takes about 7 days to get a reply and then a few more emails to get a solution— if you want I can forward you the BIOS via an email attachment. You might have to change your email/security settings to allow attachments.

Kerry
Old 29th September 2004, 22:14   #117
BeBopLoco

6.0? That's what I have (on the disk that came with the mobo), I think. On the other hand, I don't recall the date. I will check tonight. Thanks, Kerry.
Old 30th September 2004, 02:46   #118
BeBopLoco

Default BIOS Denial, Fixed; Audio Problem, a Puzzle

I reset the CMOS jumper (JP1) and fired it up, and I got into BIOS. Thanks for the fix!

It says I have BIOS version 6.00pg, but I still wonder if this is correct.

I've done some more googling on the surround (rear) audio channel problem (no sound)---it seems I am in good company.

I have a Cambridge Soundworks "Four Point Surround FPS 1800" speaker set up, which is 4 satellites and a woofer (4.1). It worked great on another PC with an Audigy 2, and I have verified that all 4 satellites work (by switching the front/rear wires to test).

I have 2 wires from my speaker setup to connect to my PC--a Green and Black. The green is hooked into my "front" jack at the woofer/control, and the black is hooked into the "rear" jack at the same place. At the PC itself, I have hooked up the green wire to the green jack (line out) and the black wire is hooked into the expansion card's surround/rear jack. To me, this should work.

I have checked my speaker config in the software to make sure it's on either quadrophonic or 5.1 (there is no 4.1 setting). I am mystified by this. I've got a great sounding 2.1 system, but I'm not ready to give up yet.

I emailed the folks in Taiwan---we'll see when I get a response.
Old 30th September 2004, 03:26   #119
Kerry

Within seconds of booting, right under BIOS version 6.00pg, it will have a date. The Pause/Break key pauses startup so you can read things mo betta.

Look for 11/17/03, or 02/25/04, or the latest 05/11/04.

Belarc Advisor or aida32 (Google) are two free (download and install) utilities that give you all sorts of interesting info such as your BIOS and driver versions.

Kerry
Old 1st October 2004, 01:39   #120
BeBopLoco

Default Some Enlightenment on Sound? (or, Pushing a Rope from the Other End Isn't a Solution)

Well, fellas, given my frustration with getting sound out of my rear surround speakers, I did what any self-respecting computer boy would do, after he had horsed around with the hardware: I horsed around with the software. It worked, kind of. Remember the movie, The Gods Must Be Crazy? Ever read Kafka? It's something like that.

In the VIA Vinyl Audio Control Panel, I went to "Advanced Controls" , and checked "Stereo EXpander". Voila, my rear speakers began playing my MP3, together with my front speakers. I let out a woop and lost my baleful countenance until I realized, "Where's the bass?" Apparently, the gods at VIA are fickle enough to not allow us too much happiness----choosing "Stereo Expander" gets you 4 channel of surround, but at the price of cancelling your subwoofer. Uncheck it, and you get your woofer, but lose the rear channel surround.

Part of me is wondering whether this is due to the fact that my speaker set only has 2 wires to connect to the PC--the front (green) and rear (black) speakers. I don't know how the ".1" woofer is carried in, but bet its the rear channel wire.

That's all for now. It's almost time for the Master Debaters.