It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Site & Forum Feedback - Folding@Home
Congratz to jmke Congratz to jmke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Congratz to jmke
Closed Thread

Old 12th July 2004, 09:07   #21
wutske

I'll be honest, I'm folding for the stats, only because I'm only folding with one PC and I'm folding so less, that nobody would notice if I would stop.
Other than that, this IS necessary. Think about 'de pest', too many peoply died then. Imagine this happening again, but now by cancer, the effect would be even bigger, because it could infect the whole world in a few hours (because we travel over the world), millions of people would die, and no cure. Think about the impact, panic, crime, ... .

Old 12th July 2004, 09:30   #22
Magnum_

Cancer has always been there. Also keep in mind, that a lot of people that get cancer, have had a life of smoking/drinking/eating way to much fat/moving hardly at all/sitting behind their desk staring at their PC screen. In other words : suicide. Not all of them, but lots of them.
Yes, there the amount of people with cancers IS rising.
I clearly have a different view on things than most people here

BTW : I haven't had a reaction on the fact that this might not be the most efficient way to "compute" a solution. Or the fact that people see it way to much as a race, who let their PC running for longer as necessary, or even buy extra PC's for the "cause".

Survival is the most important thing in life, but not the survival of the individual, that's called selfishness, as I described in my first post.
My english isn't that good, I already regret not posting it in dutch .

In other words : I've quit folding, for good now.

Old 12th July 2004, 10:01   #23

BlackRabbit Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnum_

BTW : I haven't had a reaction on the fact that this might not be the most efficient way to "compute" a solution. Or the fact that people see it way to much as a race, who let their PC running for longer as necessary, or even buy extra PC's for the "cause".
Haven't read any previous posts but here goes:
It's prolly not the most efficiënt way to computer a solution, but:
- it's much cheaper for universities, as their supercomputers costs a lot to use them and even with 100% supercomputer power it would still take a long time to find something.
- I guess this way they can be pretty sure a protein doesn't help when our computers say so.

(and actually I can't think of a better method)

@HardFreak: cancer is not something you get infected with, it's just your own body that starts to "generate" faulty, living cells.
Old 12th July 2004, 10:38   #24

Bosw8er Freshly Registered

Please read the Stanford FAQ :

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...lding/faq.html

PC idling helps no-one
PC folding will help science ... and maybe someday your son or daughter.

It might be long shot, but it is worthwile and doesn't require any effort at all. All things in live are eventually a gamble, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose ... but not gambling = not winning.
Old 12th July 2004, 11:04   #25
wutske

ok, cancer was a wrong example, but you'll get the same with another disease. Still, my opinion is that it is useful. It may cost a bit, but later (maybe when you are already dead) people would be thankfull.

P.s.; magnum, this thread was actualy for saying congrats to JMke, not for telling how useless u find F@H. So, maybe back on-topic.

JMke, go for the 100K :grin:

Old 23rd July 2004, 14:07   #26
Blue_Boy

Cancer isn't just "nature's way", it's far from nature's way.
It has been around for ages, sure, but not in the manner it manifests itself right now, killing way too much, too young, people.
Offcourse, it's all aur fault, one of the main causes of cancer is pollution we produce.
my father did't have a life of smoking/drinking/eating way to much fat/moving hardly at all/sitting behind their desk staring at their PC screen, and he had it till i was 16.
So, it would have been damn nice to have a father till a was at least mature (in age) and a long time after that.

Old 23rd July 2004, 15:24   #27
Maddy

Quote:
Here's your reaction, it is certainly the truth that this isn't the most efficient way to compute this kind of solution. There are many things that aren't efficient or the best solution and still they made it, is this a pitty ? Maybe, but thats not the point, the point is that you have a problem that needs a solution.

Maybe you should be one of those scientist, look at their point of view, they have a good deal right ? Without spending a great deal of money on a new supercomputer they have what they want, fame and fortune and maybe there way of 'solution' will just 'fix' the problem.

And yeah people see it as a race, but thats part of there solution, people are competitive and they use that.
Do you really think people don't know that, do you really think people are that stupid ?

Quote:
In other words : I've quit folding, for good now.
Good! No Problem, you've made your point, now we all know it and we seen your arguments, let's stop talking about it.

Old 23rd July 2004, 16:54   #28
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

or how to **** up my 50k congratulations thread?
Old 23rd July 2004, 16:57   #29

Bosw8er Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
or how to **** up my 50k congratulations thread?

60K !

EDIT : this is a fishrod reply
Old 23rd July 2004, 21:56   #30
Xploited Titan

Oh, yeah, about that cancer thingie: some cancers can already be blocked or even cured, but the problem is that it cost loads of $$$$...

Folding is OK, but you should understand that YOU pay to research stuff for scientists that will make you pay when they got the solution...

But, you're all doing a great work...

Closed Thread