It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > Site & Forum Feedback - Folding@Home
Congratz to jmke Congratz to jmke
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Congratz to jmke
Closed Thread

Old 8th July 2004, 17:49   #11
ctgilles

I am Primo's little *****...

Old 8th July 2004, 19:27   #12

187(V)URD@ Freshly Registered

wanna be my ***** ?
Old 11th July 2004, 19:02   #13
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

2 of my folding rigs were apparantly offline for a couple of days, they are fired up again, should give a nice boost
Old 11th July 2004, 19:58   #14
ctgilles

Quote:
Originally posted by 187(V)URD@
wanna be my ***** ?
Tempting, but no... Plimo is a far better master :grin:

Old 11th July 2004, 23:37   #15
Magnum_

Gratz JMke !

I'm starting to have doubts about the cause lately.
I've been thinking about it, and I've come to the conclusion that medical progress is necessary. BUT, also, that not everyone can be saved. Even more : it's not RIGHT to save everyone's life, or extending it dramatically. Nature's way and so on...
I don't think it's such a good cause.
It's WAY better as "crunching those 128bit encryptions", or even that extraterrestrial crap (forgot the name), no doubt about that. That **** is just crap³.

I see a lot of folding people stop, because their electricity bills have raised dramatically. That means that a lot of power is consumed, for "the cause". It also means that a lot of extra heat is produced, for "the cause". Not only here, but we're talking about millions and millions of CPU's that are being used, to save the life of people. It's not only idle cycles we are using, people even buy extra CPU's, "for the cause". (or is it just to get that kick to get a bit higher in the stats?).

It's my humble opinion, that one "supercomputer", will work much more powerefficient than us folding. And don't forget, that we are doing double/triple/even worse work, because we fold the same units, over and over again ("to make sure"). I don't know if it's all that smart afterall to participate.

(don't worry, I'm not an environmentalist, far from actually).

And I already know what you're going to answer, something like : "yeah, but wait untill it's you or someone else who's dying from alzheimer etc".

Well, I have a strong feeling that cancer and other diseases are just natures way, nothing special, and that they always have existed. We have already dramatically increased our lifespan (human life expectancy almost doubled last 500 years). I don't know if all of this is normal actually, we're almost like a virus, always adjusting our life and environment, at ALL cost. Life is the most precious thing. It might seem that way, but it is NOT, that's just a human reflex, the will to survive is a builtin reflex in our brain. It's actually all about selfishness, about the fear of dying of a disease like that, not about the good for society. It seems like folders are "giving", but actually it's the race for the stats, AND selfishness.

I'd like to see your opinions about this... Don't know if you guys have really thought about "the cause"? I did, today, after folding over 30K for "the cause". If I'm really honest, it was really about rising really fast in the stats, and nothing else, I never even considered helping people by what I'm doing.

For the record : I'm not saying we have to sacrifise people's lives to save the existance of men. I just say : let nature go it's way, the life of 100 million people does not HAVE TO BE SAVED AT ALL COST ! It cannot be a priority that harms our environment really bad.
If they can be saved, GREAT ! But it's not all that matters, it cannot endanger the environment/the existance of men/... Not in an extreme way, and now it's really extreme & inefficient (in my humble opinion).

Old 11th July 2004, 23:48   #16
Madshrimp

when you see close relatives pass away due to cancer and the effect it has on the family, you can start to understand the need to cure cancer, I have an uncle who's wife died from cancer when she was 54, he was 51 at that time. After she was gone he started drinking and came very close to ending his life, this then caused great pain in my family as he was my mother's brother and they are/were very close.

anyway... I'm not folding with the thought of curing any disease, but if an idle PC can be put at good work, then I won't hesitate.
Old 11th July 2004, 23:54   #17
Magnum_

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
when you see close relatives pass away due to cancer and the effect it has on the family, you can start to understand the need to cure cancer, I have an uncle who's wife died from cancer when she was 54, he was 51 at that time. After she was gone he started drinking and came very close to ending his life, this then caused great pain in my family as he was my mother's brother and they are/were very close.

anyway... I'm not folding with the thought of curing any disease, but if an idle PC can be put at good work, then I won't hesitate.
Well, I've had the same thing recently, and that's how I got to thinking about this cause. And still I came to my conclusion. It would be a GREAT thing to cure cancer. And we will get there, no doubt about it. But speeding things up dramatically, just to save the life of 100thousands? I don't know, but thousands die each day in third world countries, and lots of those people don't even have a disease.

Even if we find a solid cure for aids, it would not be distributed equally over the world, it would only save those next to us, who can afford it. Not that billion of africans who really have the disease in mass.
Any way I look at it, it keeps being no more than a sort of selfish solution.
We "sacrifice" our CPU cycles from our many (too many) CPU's that are WAY to powerfull for what we REALLY need them, and donate them to cure cancer. Ain't that nice, we're almost saints

I'm not saying that "doing nothing" is better. Not at all. But thinking about it, is a first step. And a second step might be to spend your (our) resources on an even better cause, one that is much more solid & direct.

I still think that it's better when a "supercomputer" folds all those units 3 times, compares the results, and then gives it's conclusion. Now, we are folding these units thousands and thousands of times, with far too many CPU's, just to do what? A supercomputer will work much more efficient, because we're doing to much work now, AND we are working on several CPU's, several systems, several systems who have to much HW running, and so on... All these machines together use much much much more power than a single supercomputer I think

It bothers me lately, how much the life of certain people means in comparison to the life of others. People being decapitated reach the world news every day, thousands and thousands dying from aids/hunger/... don't. It's not interesting to report about these people every day, I'm very very aware of that. But I don't know, it seems like everyone measures with a sort of "what's the selfish value of this item to me", in stead of measuring with more general values.

And now I'm going offline, my CPU is doing to much idle cycles, and I'm surely not convincing anyone here, so it's of no use at all

@ JMke here below me : so, what you are really saying is, that I'm so very right in everything I'm saying, but that it's hopeless, that you can't change a thing about it, and you just continue folding Cru gezegd

Old 11th July 2004, 23:58   #18
Madshrimp

you can not save everyone, nor can you expect that that the rich will help the poor. It's a fairy tale, not reality unfortunately, communism combined with none-dictatorship come quite close to your idea though:
- little or no personal possesions
- you work for everyone
- everyone has the same amount of advantages/disadvantages

the trouble is that the rich people will never want to live like that and give away their current "with powerfull CPU's" filled lives.
Old 12th July 2004, 00:46   #19
kr15t0f

where do you read that sh*t magnum .

You are saying that survival isn't the most important thing in life?
Survival is the meaning of life, if we don't live we got no life. Maybe folding is a bit overhyped, but if you can save people's life with just your pc .

I think desease research is a great thing to do, there will always be new deseases. So why don't try to cure the ones that already excist for 100's years.

We can never prevent all deads, so don't worry about over population. But I find it awfull if someone dies without having a life. I had a friend who died after 6 years of cancer, they tried everything to keep her alive. She cured twice but she got cancer again. From her 12 years till her 18 she was sick, and I mean very sick. She never had the chance to do something with her life.
And maybe folding can give people with cancer (etc) a beter chance of surviving. There doesn't have to be a 100% chance of survival, but when docters tried 3 different ways to cure cancer and non of them worked then I think it's time to find a beter cure.

BTW: folding is also fun, if you don't care about the cause don't think about it. See it as a good way to win hardware

Old 12th July 2004, 01:19   #20

Sidney Freshly Registered

Give only what others can receive.
Give because that's what you like.
Give without thinking of returns.

Giving is not sacrifice.
Giving is not "a cause" / rather it is from the result.

--------------------------------------------

Most parents give their children; it is in our nature.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Closed Thread