It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Windows 7 Gaming Performance Vs Vista & XP Windows 7 Gaming Performance Vs Vista & XP
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Windows 7 Gaming Performance Vs Vista & XP

Old 13th September 2009, 14:17   #11
[M] Reviewer

leeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registered

and the Vista i want to grow forever phenomena I don't appreciate at all....
Old 14th September 2009, 22:11   #12
Kougar

As far as image quality goes, DX10+ games offer higher level IQ settings that DX9 games simply don't. Just looking at their screenshots shows the IQ differences because of those extra settings.

This article just shows that Vista/7 are both optimized better for dual-GPU setups... wouldn't of minded seeing a single GTX 285 or 4890 tested, single GPU performance is more of a wash.

XP is fine, but I won't use it anymore. It is not optimized for Quads and higher threaded systems, the GPU rendering stack has some serious flaws, and it has zero optimizations for SSDs. Whether it's an 8-thread CPU, SSD, or dual-GPU Windows 7 is the better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeghoofd View Post
and the Vista i want to grow forever phenomena I don't appreciate at all....
Last I heard 7 shrank the install size compared to Vista.
Old 15th September 2009, 08:20   #13
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Last I heard 7 shrank the install size compared to Vista.
not as much as I'd hoped. We used it for performance test with a DDR2 ram disk; total size of that disk 14gb...

Quote:
With Windows 7 installed on the ACARD ANS-9010 we were left with approximately ~6gb of free space. We had already disabled the hibernation file and reduced the page file to minimum size.

Next up we started the installation of Crysis… just a reminder here are the minimal system requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:
OS - Windows XP or Windows Vista
Processor - 2.8GHz or faster (XP); 3.2GHz or faster * (Vista)
Memory - 1GB RAM or 1.5GB RAM (Vista)
Video Card - 256MB **
Hard Drive - 12GB
Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible

Our systems had 4gb of RAM, plenty fast CPUs and VGA cards. But hard drive space we had not. Minimum requirement is 12gb… we started the setup of Crysis, hopeful but a bit doubtful.

On the OCZ 30Gb SSD installation finished without incident, the smallest Vertex drive can easily host your OS and a few games. The ACARD powered system halted at 99% of the installation. We then remember the 100Mb temporary file created by the Windows 7 NVIDIA drivers, we deleted the folder and continued the installation which finished successfully! We were left with ~80Mb of free space left. Next up we launched the Crysis 1.2 patch, this updater finished ok on the Vertex system, but it wouldn’t even launch on the ACARD one. So what we did was copy the patched game folder from the system 1 to system 2. We had now only 2.16Mb free on the ANS-9010
=-)
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...&articID=9 35

Last edited by jmke : 15th September 2009 at 08:23.
jmke is offline   Reply With Quote