It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Water-X CPU Water Cooler Water-X CPU Water Cooler
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Water-X CPU Water Cooler

Old 13th March 2003, 19:41   #11
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
room temp: 21°C
CPU loaded temp: 29°C

Athlon XP running at 2000Mhz with 1.95v vcore.

that's what I mean by good aircooling

in the newslink.. if the site comes up again.. you could find a review of the mentioned product. It didn't do very well
extremely loud I may presume ?

h2o setup I've got is almost extremely silent.

Keeps a 1800+ @ 2200 @ 1.87 Vcore @ ~40° stressed, maximum.
piotke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2003, 20:29   #12

DUR0N Freshly Registered

I think that atm the slk-800 is the best cooling you can get in price/performance terms
and slk's don't have the intention to 'stop working' or something like that
DUR0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2003, 23:53   #13
real.genius

Quote:
room temp: 21°C
CPU loaded temp: 29°C

Athlon XP running at 2000Mhz with 1.95v vcore.

that's what I mean by good aircooling

in the newslink.. if the site comes up again.. you could find a review of the mentioned product. It didn't do very well
Well like I said, most air coolers work fine at lower temps here is some limited data I have for my water-x cpu cooler at cold start the mb temp is 28c/cputemp 49c as the computer warms up the following temps were recorded for my AMD 2100 athlon mb32c/cpu49c, mb33c/cpu54c, mb34c/cpu55c, mb35c/cpu56c, mb36c/cpu56c, mb37c/cpu57c, mb38c/cpu59c, mb39c/cpu59c, full load tocpu mb40c/cpu61c, mb40c/cpu60c, mb41c/cpu59c, back to idle mb41c/cpu59c, mb41c/cpu59c, mb40c/cpu57c as can be seen by the data my tests begin at much higher background temps than your slc800 air unit. I am sure your slc800 is a fine unit but as you can see the water-x unit does a fine job of protecting the cpu even in higher background temperatures. I have never found that any air cooler has the heat capacity of a water cooler and the price of the water-x for a complete water cooling unit is quite low compared to any others I have seen. It is that large heat capacity that allows a loaded cpu to still run cool. Besides I have gotten such good customer service from the water-x reps who stand behind their product very very very well. That is why I can recommend it. vcore=1.824
Old 14th March 2003, 00:05   #14
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

your maximum temp

mobo temp: 40°C
CPU temp: 57°C

now let's increase my room temp to equal your mobo temp

cpu temp: 48°C

now let's deduct the fact that I'm using 1.92v compared to your 1.82v. In general 0.1v difference lowers your temps with 5-10°C

so

CPU temp: 43°C

that's a full 14°C difference between the 2 quite alot don't you think?
and the fact the SLK800 costs half of the Water-X only increases the fact that I cannot recommend the Water-X to anyone :-)
going over 50°C with an Athlon system sets you 1 foot into danger zone.

passing 60°C will lead to lock-ups
if you plan to overclock you need temps below 45°C , otherwise you will be severly limited in the max. OC you can achieve

ps: why do I get the strange feeling you are trying to promote this product..
Old 14th March 2003, 00:09   #15
Madshrimp

http://207.44.142.144//forums/showth...threadid=10262

Quote:
Pros: Very light weight & easy to install.
Cons: Just doesnt handle the heat.

Vcore ~ 1.75 (max the board will allow)
Multi ~ x12
FSB ~ 145
1.740Mhz

Idle on windows
Case: 35C
CPU: 52C
Idle in windows for 10 minutes
Case: 35
CPU: 54
Again, F@H for 30 minutes (Well the plan was for 30 minutes, got some business I had to deal with that couldnt wait, so instead it sat for nearly 2 hours.)
Case: 36
CPU: 61
Old 14th March 2003, 01:35   #16
real.genius

Quote:
your maximum temp

CPU temp: 57°C

now let's increase my room temp to equal your mobo temp

cpu temp: 48°C

now let's deduct the fact that I'm using 1.92v compared to your 1.82v. In general 0.1v difference lowers your temps with 5-10°C

so

CPU temp: 43°C

that's a full 14°C difference between the 2 quite alot don't you think?
and the fact the SLK800 costs half of the Water-X only increases the fact that I cannot recommend the Water-X to anyone :-)
going over 50°C with an Athlon system sets you 1 foot into danger zone.

passing 60°C will lead to lock-ups
if you plan to overclock you need temps below 45°C , otherwise you will be severly limited in the max. OC you can achieve

ps: why do I get the strange feeling you are trying to promote this product..
I believe the data speaks for itself, I have no interest in the water-x product or company or distributors other than as a consumer of the product. I have tested many cpu coolers including dr. thermals with tornados on them which outperform slk800s by a massive performance margin as far as I know, but I also know that as the temperatures your operating the cooler in goes up air coolers can not keep up because hot air in equals hotter air out thats physics. The actual heat capacity of water =1 but metal air coolers have less heat capactiy. Because I have occasional high air temperatures to operate in thats why I have been trying cpu coolers beyond just air. I also have been thinking about buying a small refrigerator and mounting the entire computer in it. Most of the heat pipes are actually water coolers also. Vapo chills are very expensive but if you pay $600 for the fastest AMD chip maybe $600 for the cooler is justified? Anyway, I dont think you can just add numbers to your data, I think you would have to increase the air temperature going into your slk800 to get correct actual data out. I have done some over clocking hence I well aware of the dr. thermal with tornado fan. Let me know what you think about the small refrigerator idea.
Old 14th March 2003, 02:07   #17
real.genius

real.genius,
so anyway because the water-x cpu cooler is one of the lowest priced water coolers on the market and so compact and has usable stable temperature controll I feel I can recommend it as a high heat capacity low cost water cooler. And what do you think about my idea of putting a computer into one of those low cost frost free mini refrigerators?
Old 14th March 2003, 09:58   #18
Madshrimp

did you check the review?
http://207.44.142.144//forums/showth...threadid=10262

the water-x doesn't come close to performance of even a budget watercooling kit. Costs more then high-end aircooling & has worse performance. an SLK800 or SLK900 with a silent fan still beats this Water-X, even with high casetemps :-)

Quote:
I also have been thinking about buying a small refrigerator and mounting the entire computer in it
you will see a drop in "case" temperature and as long as it doesn't go below zero you won't have any problems

place some good fans in the frig to make cold air move around & you are set.
Insulate the outgoing cables pretty good, so no "warm" air can get into the frig!

but you're going to need a pretty strong frig if you want to really make a noticable difference. Since most refrigerators are designed to slowly cool down objects that don't produce heat themselves.

So placing a PC inthere will have the frig.working overtime, make sure it can handle this

another solution you can try, is going for watercooling & placing the reservoir & pump in a good refrigerator, thereby cooling the water & providing better temperatures
Old 14th March 2003, 18:40   #19
real.genius

By tweaking the air flow in my water-x unit I have been able to achieve very stable performance.cpu fan rpm 5800 and pump rpm of 1800 and case fan of 5400 I was able to achieve the following
after hours of real time running
case temp37c/cpu57c
heavy processor loading
case 41c/ cpu 59c
idle temp
case 37c/ cpu 57c
By the way, I checked the prices of slk800 there very expensive and they dont have a fan. I buy most of my cpu coolers with fans, I am not sold on passive cooling performance.
Old 14th March 2003, 19:29   #20
jakkerd

Quote:
Originally posted by real.genius
By tweaking the air flow in my water-x unit I have been able to achieve very stable performance.cpu fan rpm 5800 and pump rpm of 1800 and case fan of 5400 I was able to achieve the following
after hours of real time running
case temp37c/cpu57c
heavy processor loading
case 41c/ cpu 59c
idle temp
case 37c/ cpu 57c
By the way, I checked the prices of slk800 there very expensive and they dont have a fan. I buy most of my cpu coolers with fans, I am not sold on passive cooling performance.
i have silent air cooling,
my athlon xp @ 12.5*170 @ 56° under load
and this is silent, as in reallly silent, with a heatsink that performes worse than an slk 800 (pal 8045)

this thing is totally not recommendable