It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Vista SP1 Guides for IT Professionals Released Vista SP1 Guides for IT Professionals Released
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vista SP1 Guides for IT Professionals Released

Old 10th January 2008, 13:18   #11
wutske

I don't have much problems with Vista. Okay, I sometimes have to clear the hibernation file to prevent some bluescreens when my laptop wakes up.
Everything works fine after some tweaking
Old 10th January 2008, 15:04   #12
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutar View Post
I wonder why anyone would bother with Vista when they have troubles. Why don't they just write off their loss of money and reinstall XP.
Because there are plenty of advantages to go with the plenty of disadvantages. Not to mention as you said, I spent money on it!

Wutske, if I wanted to be downright mean I'd tell you to pull out your CMOS battery, laptop or not, and see what happens the next time you boot Vista. Booting Windows Vista with the incorrect BIOS clock will let you experience activation hell as a bonus feature that XP can't claim to have.
Old 10th January 2008, 15:23   #13
Rutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Because there are plenty of advantages to go with the plenty of disadvantages. Not to mention as you said, I spent money on it!
What advantages? Did I miss something about Vista?

And rationally, you shouldn't look at the money spent, because those are sunk costs.
Old 10th January 2008, 15:27   #14
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

it came preinstalled on this Acer laptop :/
and not all devices have drivers for XP

Last edited by jmke : 10th January 2008 at 15:57.
jmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 15:48   #15
wutske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post

Wutske, if I wanted to be downright mean I'd tell you to pull out your CMOS battery, laptop or not, and see what happens the next time you boot Vista. Booting Windows Vista with the incorrect BIOS clock will let you experience activation hell as a bonus feature that XP can't claim to have.
OEM Vista doesn't need activation
Old 10th January 2008, 16:19   #16
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutar View Post
What advantages? Did I miss something about Vista?

And rationally, you shouldn't look at the money spent, because those are sunk costs.
You wouldn't consider the money spent on a car a "sunk cost" and write it off... but that is quibbling over unrelated things. I already mentioned what I consider to be advantages to Vista in past posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutske View Post
OEM Vista doesn't need activation
Preinstalled OEM may not, but my OEM version of Ultimate certainly does. Repeatedly...

Last edited by Kougar : 10th January 2008 at 16:22.
Old 10th January 2008, 18:56   #17

Sidney Freshly Registered

I call it an upgrade to Windows XP Pro
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=643

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote