It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Upgrading A Motherboard Without Reinstalling Upgrading A Motherboard Without Reinstalling
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Upgrading A Motherboard Without Reinstalling

Old 11th May 2005, 18:49   #1

Sidney Freshly Registered
Default Upgrading A Motherboard Without Reinstalling

Sadly, with the constant pace of change in the processor and chipset markets, motherboards become outdated very quickly when it comes to upgrade options. You can upgrade a processor or add a new memory module without causing so much as a blip from Windows XP, but a new motherboard can and will cause XP to stop booting altogether. Many have tried, and many have been greeted with the cold gasp of the Blue Screen of Death for their efforts. Fortunately, the procedure for correctly installing a new motherboard is rather easy and straightforward, and more fortunately, we're here to talk you through it.

GUIDE URL: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1755

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 19:11   #2
kristos

Quote:
To do this insert the Windows CD and restart the PC.
Choose the 'press enter to set up Windows XP now' option.
Press F8 to skip through the EULA.
Now press R to begin a repair installation.
Your system will go through the entire XP install process, but will not attempt to replace any of your existing data. It will simply reinstall the system files and redetect all hardware. Once the process has completed, your computer will reboot and we can move on to the next step.
(re)Activating Windows
Has this ever worked for anyone? ever?

It sure never has for me or my dad and we both have tried this option numerous times...

It works if I do it differently: detecting previous windows installation; do you want to repair this windows installation? no; select windows partition? repair.
Old 11th May 2005, 23:55   #3

[Bonbon] Freshly Registered

yep it worked fine

i did it in August 2004 :
ArctiClean Review