It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Synchronize Folders Between Computers and Drives with SyncToy 2.1 Synchronize Folders Between Computers and Drives with SyncToy 2.1
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Synchronize Folders Between Computers and Drives with SyncToy 2.1

Old 14th December 2009, 17:20   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Synchronize Folders Between Computers and Drives with SyncToy 2.1

If you have a few different computers and drives, it can be annoying making sure the same data is each one you need. Today we take a look at making folder and data synchronization easier with the Microsoft SyncToy 2.1 utility.

You might have a flash drive that you use to carry files and documents from the workplace to your home office and vice versa. Sometimes though, you might forget to copy the files you need over to the drive. With Microsoft’s SyncToy it allows you to easily make sure the data between drives and folders is synchronized everyday. There are a lot of reasons you might want to synchronize folders. For example, maybe you want to sync your My Pictures folder with the one at work, or sync your music at home with music on another computer. This is a free tool from Microsoft that was once part of the XP Power Toys but has continued to grow and improve.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7604/...h-synctoy-2.1/
Old 14th December 2009, 17:40   #2
Kurgan

Nice one,

I've been using dropbox for a while now, which I love, but the low storage limit (I'm upto 3GB free) can be a real PITA - but again its free, and a great way to share files/photos and stuff with family.

I'll hafta look at this SyncToy now aswell.

Thanks,

K.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:49   #3
Madshrimp

SyncToy is an offline tool ! keep your data local, not in the cloud
just use multiple PCs/HDDs to keep data in sync and you can survive HDD and PC crash
Old 14th December 2009, 21:33   #4
Kurgan

I caught that, its over the network type of syncing.

Dropbox, while being cloud based...you can still ensure your privacy by using truecrypt in combination.

But yea, for surviving data crashes this is a pretty awesome tool.
Old 14th December 2009, 22:49   #5
Madshrimp

i've been using payware DirSync for quite some time now http://www.archersoft.com/ was out before SyncToy, offers more features but it costs; been using it to triple copy data
and flashfxp to backup [m] site