It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Skype CEO Tony Bates confirms 250m monthly users, talks Microsoft partnership Skype CEO Tony Bates confirms 250m monthly users, talks Microsoft partnership
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Skype CEO Tony Bates confirms 250m monthly users, talks Microsoft partnership

Old 1st June 2012, 08:38   #1
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered
Default Skype CEO Tony Bates confirms 250m monthly users, talks Microsoft partnership

Skype CEO Tony Bates just took the stage here on the final day of D10, and he got right into the news delivery mindset: as of now, there are 250 million monthly connected users. Said Bates, "When we closed [the Microsoft deal], we had 170 million monthly users, so haven't skipped a beat in terms of momentum." Continuing on when asked from Kara Swisher about integration with Microsoft, Bates said: "I'm not going to talk about future products, but I'll steal a line from Tim Cook. We're going to double-down on integration with Windows 8, and we're doing to double-down on secrecy." Specifically, he mentioned that there'd be some "great integration points" with Windows 8, noting that Skype is viewed as an "experience, with most folks viewing it as a Swiss army knife, regardless of where and how it's used." Kara followed up with a question on Kinect, and Bates did his best to dodge the bullet by re-referencing intent on Windows 8 and Windows Phone -- there wasn't a peep mentioned in either direction on if it'd end up there.

Kara asked what his most important smartphone platform was, and Bates said: "I wouldn't classify it as one most important. As far as download numbers, it's absolutely iPhone, but Android is gaining momentum. Our top priority is mobile; we made two acquisitions in that space. The Android marketplace -- as many know -- is quite fragmented, and this was a big challenge for us from an engineering standpoint. This team in the Qik acquisition really helped us there. I'm very hopeful -- Windows Phone is very exciting for me because of that people-centric nature." Kara pushed to see if Windows Phone would get a "special" version of Skype, and Bates simply said that he "hopes they can add value." Given that both Windows Phone and Skype now live under the same roof, though, we're guessing that he's underselling things in the effort of "doubling-down on secrecy."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/31/s...unication-d10/
Stefan Mileschin is offline   Reply With Quote