It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Project Computerized BMW Project Computerized BMW
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Project Computerized BMW

Old 28th May 2003, 10:59   #1
Da`Hitch

Default Project Computerized BMW

omfg, this project is great!!!

on the other hand however, I'm pretty sure It was quite expensive and very timeconsuming...

nice work anywayz
Old 28th May 2003, 12:06   #2
Dial_Up

Great idd,

but anyhow, I don't see the use of putting a WHOLE computer in the car :
You can use radio and GPS, but I cant imagine that you will work on a spreadsheet while driving :S
And for music and Gps I don't have to rip my car open.
Old 28th May 2003, 12:20   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

you are thinking too limited

10/100mbit uplink port in the car, you can write emails while you are in heavy traffic, see movies, listen to music, etc etc

possibilities are endless
Old 28th May 2003, 12:56   #4
Da`Hitch

true, If only my car wasn't so small I might even considder trying out something like this.

of course, the most obvious thing to do with this setup is using it as a jukebox and GPS system.
But this system has been configured really well
I mean, he comes home, his home computer is probably running and has a wireless network at home.
he gets in range of his house and automatically his music folder is synchronised, ingenious!!!
the ability to use "emergency internet" through is cellular phone is very interesting if for some reason you really need to check your email. or in his case, it can be used together with the GPS. The GPS software connects to the internet and the server or whatever informs the software of a traffic jam at a certain point on the road ahead. and so the software will automatically plot a new course, avoiding the traffic jam.
also, in amerca several reststops offer wireless internet (albeit at a small fee) that way, he can just surft the internet while eating something in his car.

and then of course the DVD-playing option.
today there are systems available for videoplayback or even watching TV in the car. but these systems are configured in such a way that only passengers in the backseat can enjoy these functions, of when the car is driving slower than 3km/h. (a friend of mine had the opportunity to get a leased car from work with a TV inside, but declined because of the 3km/h limit)

really, this is very cool if you have to be on the road a lot!!!
I luv this mod
Old 28th May 2003, 14:04   #5
Dial_Up

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
10/100mbit uplink port in the car, you can write emails while you are in heavy traffic, see movies, listen to music, etc etc
Those things are nice idd, and only usefull when you're not driving. I can't imagine that someone who is driving is _SO_ irresponsible that he will start to look at movies or doing some mail while he is driving.

And if it would be usefull to the passengers, then you can put that screen in a better place that this.

a little summary :
Radio & GPS -> can be cheaper and easier whithout ripping your car
Movie->movie in your car is crap (seen it, and it is really crap). nevertheless, when u like it, its only for the passengers-> better places to put the screen
mail/work/..-> have u ever tried to type in a car on a laptop? f* irritating. imo you need a Jaguar or something like that to work easily.

K, is a nice mod, and some possibilities of Da Hitch can be usefull, but the costs and the effors are way above the profits
(sry, but as an economist I think most of the time in costs and profits )
Old 28th May 2003, 14:21   #6
Da`Hitch

Read the newspost Dial_Up.
"Why do we do it? 'cuz we can" :-)
If I had a bigger car, and also, kind of the money, and well, the need to be on the road A LOT I would certainly considder making something like this. because I can imagine that listening to the same CD over and over again tends to get boring after a while (and a CD player capable of playing MP3's also tends to cost 500€'s and up)
I mean how much does a mod like this cost? 1000€?
so that's half the cost of the the MP3-radio. and now you don't need to burn CD's all the time. And now you have the added functionality of GPS (which if integrated in the car also requires ripping your car apart) if used in combination with a laptop he loses the ability to for example play music, simply because the speakers of a laptop are nog powerfull enough (believe me I've tried). And if you have to use it in combination with a PDA it will also cost a lot of money (~600€'s PDA + 300-400(+)€'s for the GPS kit (software, GPS device, carholder etc.)) and as he said in the beginning he was bothered by the bulkyness of his PDA.
so this is kind of an ideal solution

and while standing in a traffic jam for some reason, I can see why surfing the web, typing e-mails, watching a movie etc. can be very entertaining. and don't say that watching a movie while in traffic is dangerous

so are you still convinced that the costs outweigh the profits?
Old 28th May 2003, 14:28   #7

TerAngreal Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dial_Up
Those things are nice idd, and only usefull when you're not driving. I can't imagine that someone who is driving is _SO_ irresponsible that he will start to look at movies or doing some mail while he is driving.
you do live in belgium, don't you?

i mean ... here's a quick test:
get in your car, drive to the nearest highway (even better: take the E40) and just cruise a bit, let's say for an hour or so ... take a quick look around, find some trucks speeding down the highway and pull up next to one

4/5, the driver is watching tv or something alike -- if you saw the news yesterday (highway crashes involving several trucks while the weather was a-ok), you might know what i mean ...
TerAngreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2003, 20:12   #8
Dial_Up

Quote:
Originally posted by TerAngreal
4/5, the driver is watching tv or something alike -- if you saw the news yesterday (highway crashes involving several trucks while the weather was a-ok), you might know what i mean ...
<OT>We'll that's what I mean with irresponsable driving. He crashed and died, right? The one who is driving has to pay attention on the road, not on something else.

I really don't have a problem with a guy who crashes against a wall, a tree, .. but the problem is that he endangers other people. That's why I 'm totally against those things that really distracts you from paying attention on the road (Not mobile calling,Not listening to music ->they don't distract your eyes, uc ).
And, yes, I've already been in a traffic jam, but nevertheless, I really can't imagine that I would have a safe moment to read mail of type an sms for example...

Anyway, i think we're going a little toooooo off-topic So I better close the Off Topic part </OT> 8) better?

@Da Hitch : we'll, k, I can agree with that calculation. And, idd, it is the solution for his trouble..
Old 29th May 2003, 01:23   #9
Da`Hitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Dial_Up
That's why I 'm totally against those things that really distracts you from paying attention on the road (Not mobile calling,Not listening to music ->they don't distract your eyes, uc )
hmm, Mobile calling does indeed not distract your eyes (except for the reaching for the phone, the dialing/picking up etc.)
But It does however manage to kinda keep your hands busy and in general away from the gearboxshift-thingy or the steeringwheel itself. (yes, experience, I know, dangerous, but a guy has got to try to make some money here and there right?)
Old 29th May 2003, 01:42   #10
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

uhm the danger of a mobile phone has not only to do with you reaching for / dialing / picking, that CAN be dangerous but it is not the main problem in my humble opinion

when you are on the phone you a distracted from what you are doing and you'll make more mistakes
in a car those mistakes can be crucial to your "survival"

but HANDSfree mobile dialing is better, but far from perfect