It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Powerline Networking - End of the Road for G.hn? Powerline Networking - End of the Road for G.hn?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Powerline Networking - End of the Road for G.hn?

Old 20th January 2014, 10:27   #1
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered
Default Powerline Networking - End of the Road for G.hn?

I have been making it a point to catch up on the state of the powerline networking industry every CES, and this year was no different. In 2013, I had talked about how G.hn and HomePlug were heading for a showdown. A year later, it looks like G.hn's claims haven't materialised into anything concrete. Over the last year, G.hn decided to concentrate solely on the service provider market, and within that, mainly in the China region and other places where HomePlug hadn't taken root yet. The HomeGrid (G.hn) forum announced a number of partnerships, but I heard from industry sources that none of these announcements have resulted in any shipping products yet.

G.hn had two major trump cards over HomePlug when it was brought up as an alternative. The first one being the ability to obtain gigabit-level speeds, and the second one being the ability to operate over any wire (powerline, coax or phone line). With the launch of HPAV2, the first trump card has been lost. Will the second trump card be attractive enough for service providers to risk choosing it over what is proven technology? It looks unlikely based on what I heard and saw at CES. I have been checking out really awesome demonstrations of the capbilities of G.hn from Sigma Designs (back in 2011) and Marvell (in 2013), but I am left wondering what is preventing them from coming to the market. It would be great to hear more on this in the comments section from readers familiar with this space.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7704/p...e-road-for-ghn
Stefan Mileschin is offline   Reply With Quote