It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Plextor launches World's fastest 18x SATA DVD-RW drive Plextor launches World's fastest 18x SATA DVD-RW drive
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Plextor launches World's fastest 18x SATA DVD-RW drive

Old 11th May 2006, 21:25   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Icon17 Plextor launches World's fastest 18x SATA DVD-RW drive

Following on from the recent successful launch of Plextor's PX-760A ATAPI/IDE DVD-RW drive into the market, the company today announces the Serial-ATA version - PX-760SA. This 18x drive is the World's fastest Serial-ATA DVD-ReWriter on the market, capable of 18x DVD+R and 10x DVD+R DL speeds, and is designed to take advantage of the latest motherboard connections within modern PCs.

Separately, Plextor is also launching the next model in its Premium range - PlexWriter Premium2.

This fast drive not only offers 52x read/write and 32x re-writing speeds, but also includes a large 8MB buffer which is useful when multi-tasking to ensure there is no data interruption

Plextor PX-760SA

The growth in SATA is for a number of good reasons: it is easy to install, hot swappable, allows more flexibility in system design and adds future-proofing for the computing platform. In addition, it enables system reliability improvements to airflow and thermal dynamics, as well as easier installation and upgrades.

Rudy de Meirsman, Sales & Marketing Manager of Plextor Europe, says: "SATA is fast becoming the connection of choice. Motherboard manufacturers have been supplying the technology onboard for the past 12 months and consumers are eager to take advantage of this convenient and latest technology. Hard disks have switched over to SATA technology, so optical drives will follow. Plextor is leading the optical market in making this technology available to end users."

The PX-760SA, which can burn a single layer disc in just 5,5 minutes (and DL in 13,5 minutes), is capable of the following DVD speeds: DVD+/-R - 18x write; DVD+R DL - 10x; DVD-R DL - 6x; DVD+RW - 8x; DVD-RW - 6x; DVD-ROM - 16x.

PlexWriter Premium2

To improve recording quality still further, Plextor's PlexWriter Premium2 incorporates Yamaha's Audio Master Quality Recording system . Users can create studio-quality audio masters that not only sound better, but can also increase the life span of their valuable recordings. In addition to reducing jitter, it can improve playback compatibility (for the widest range of players), increase the lifespan of audio CDs and backups, and protect valuable data .

Professional features : PX-760SA & PlexWriter Premium2

Plextor has developed both drives using the company's proprietary advanced technology to meet the demands of the high-end marketplace. Aimed at enthusiast/professional users who require the ultimate in quality and speed, they come with the following features:

• PlexEraser : A data destruction utility that makes a recorded CD-R or DVD disc unreadable for increased security.
• SecureRecording : The SecureRecording function lets you write on a CD-R disc and protect the data with a password.
• SilentMode : If the drive needs to be used in a quiet environment, the drive can be switched to silent mode.
• SpeedRead : Enables reading CD-R media up to the maximum speed of the drive
• GigaRec : GigaRec enables you to change the recording capacity of a standard CD-R disc from 70 percent up to 130 percent of its standard capacity
• VariRec : By adjusting the laser power, you can record CD's to improve the read compatibility
• Q-Check : a diagnostic suite to verify the quality of blank and recorded media
• PoweRec : Intelligent technology to improve the write quality during the write process
• PlexTools Professional : This software tool offers a complete suite of recording applications and supports your drive's advanced quality check functions
• PlexTools Professional LE : Based on the basic software code of PlexTools Professional, PlexTools Professional LE offers more features and extra options
• Buffer Underrun Proof Technology : Prevents buffer underrun errors

On top of the above features, the PX-760SA is equipped with:

• AUTOSTRATEGY : For the best writing quality, the drive's enhanced AUTOSTRATEGY technology selects the optimised write strategy for every DVD disc and, if necessary, creates a new write strategy for unknown media. (DVD+/-R).
• Media Quality Check : To ensure the best results with the drive, this function checks the quality of blank media
• Write Strategy Creation : Creates a new write strategy for blank media.

Availability and warranty

The Plextor PX-760SA and PlexWriter Premium2 will both be available from June 2006 at Plextor's network of dealers. They are covered by Plextor's Fast Warranty Service (2-year warranty in the EU, Norway and Switzerland (Collect & Return); other countries 1-year carry-in).

For PX-760SA a comprehensive range of full and trial software is included from: Plextor (PlexTools Professional & PlexTools Professional LE), Cyberlink, Nero, Pinnacle and Sonic.
PlexWriter Premium2 comes in bulk and includes PlexTools Professional and PlexTools Professional LE.

For more information or photo material contact:
Inge Spoelders (International Marketing Responsible Plextor - ispoelders@plextor.be on +32 2 725 55 22)
Old 11th May 2006, 21:26   #2
Madshrimp

Thanks Laagvliegerke
Old 11th May 2006, 21:39   #3
Rutar

When do we see "Comany X" launches the quietest SATA DVD drive?

because then they got a customer already =P
Old 11th May 2006, 22:03   #4
Laagvliegerke

np
Btw, the thing that actually got my attention was the PlexWriter Premium2, a CD writer! Yep, Plextor has introduced a high-end CD writer Nobody pays attention to CD-writers anymore but I think Plextor has point introducing a good quality CD-writer. These days you can buy a lot of crappy writers and crappy media.

Although I had to RMA already two drives, I'm still a Plextor fan. Their support is one of the best there is. And their writers are able to deliver very good quality, especially with good quality media like Taiyo Yuden. I find this important. Why? Because of digital photography! And I'm not a professional photographer, I suck But "in the old days" you were forced to develop al the pictures you made and you had negatives. Now many people make digital pictures, they print some of these pictures on photo paper with their own printer and store the digital pictures on cheap (and crappy) CD/DVD's. CD/DVD's they burned at high speed with a cheap burner. But they also lend those CD/DVD's to other people, put it in their PC or DVD player to show those nice pictures they made, ... The result? I bet within 5 to 10 years, many of those pictures will be lost. Scratches or just by the degradation of the CD-R. I have a couple of old Kodak Gold CD-R's here, burned with my old HP 2x writer almost ten years ago. And these CD-R's are still readable! But I also have thrown away CD-R's because they were unreadable after 5 years. And those CD-R's were burned with the same HP-writer but the media was cheap crap.
Storing your pictures on a HD is also not an option. A HD-crash or virus later and they are also lost.

I burn my digital pictures on high quality Verbatim CD-R's (pastel, Taiyo Yuden media code) and keep them safe. Not in sunlight, just in a (book)case and at room temperature. I also keep those pictures on my HD. I know there is still a change that all my "important" digital documents are lost. Like in a fire or something. But that's also the case with paper and negatives. And if it happens, so be it.
Old 11th May 2006, 22:04   #5
Madshrimp

CDs are too small for my backups, DVDs are too small for my backups too :/
Old 11th May 2006, 22:31   #6
Rutar

Blu Ray
Old 11th May 2006, 22:32   #7
Madshrimp

too expensive got me an external 200Gb HDD
Old 11th May 2006, 23:06   #8

jort Freshly Registered

lost 1.5GB on photographs this week.

Some stupid **** in my class has pressed the delete button i guess...

going to make a backup every month now i think.

recovered 10% of the pics
Old 11th May 2006, 23:08   #9
Madshrimp

I'm not following, you store you pictures on a PC at school ?