It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Plextor ConvertX PVR (PX-TV402U) Video Converter Plextor ConvertX PVR (PX-TV402U) Video Converter
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Plextor ConvertX PVR (PX-TV402U) Video Converter

Old 24th November 2004, 04:45   #1

Sidney Freshly Registered
Default Plextor ConvertX PVR (PX-TV402U) Video Converter

Compared to the many other tuners I've seen out there, the ConvertX PVR is one heck of a nice package. On the one hand, that ain't saying much. But in many ways, Plextor just does things right with the overall design of the box, it's easy of use, and the addition of DivX only sweetens the deal. WinDVR isn't love per se, but it's still solid, and by far superior to a lot of the more generic packages one tends to get stuck with.

My biggest problem, however, is that the Plextor is darn expensive for what it is. It's a TV with no screen, after all, a tuner and some input jacks. Yet it retails for $199, as much as some All In Wonder cards. Granted, a generic box like the Kworld unit is cheap in both design and programing, it's also much cheaper in price. And when it comes down to it, they do the same darn things. I like Plextor, and I love how they package things and really take care of the small details that others ignore, but I cannot really see why the ConvertX should cost as much as it does. I mean, Tivo is cheaper.

Which is really what keeps the Convert X from getting a perfect score, but taken just as a piece of hardware, as a consumer package offering up utility and conviencnce, the Plextor Convert X PVR unit is a very nice offering and really the best out there in terms of ease of use and featuring DivX encoding is an added bonus. I can't say that I'm happy about the price, but I'm not going to fault the hardware for that. Make it $129 bucks, or heck, 100 as long as I'm wishing, and you got a perfect score. As it is, 8.5 of 10.

Link: http://www.gotapex.com/reviews.php?r...rtx/index.html

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote