It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Nvidia’s Latest Core-Logic Causes Data Corruption During Overclocking Nvidia’s Latest Core-Logic Causes Data Corruption During Overclocking
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nvidia’s Latest Core-Logic Causes Data Corruption During Overclocking

Old 18th April 2008, 10:56   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Nvidia’s Latest Core-Logic Causes Data Corruption During Overclocking

Nvidia Corp., a leading designer of graphics processors and chipsets, recently admitted that its most-recent chipset for Intel Corp.’s microprocessors may cause data corruption in case processor bus and system memory are overclocked. Earlier customers blamed previous-generation Nvidia’s core-logic sets for data corruption under the same circumstances.

Apparently, when computer enthusiasts overclock processor system bus (PSB) and memory clock-speeds on systems that are based on Nvidia nForce 790i-series core-logic, they may experience data corruption on hard disk drives. Earlier end-users complained about the same issue on systems powered by previous-generations Nvidia nForce chipsets.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipset...g_Company.html
Old 19th April 2008, 02:28   #2
Kougar

Hm, buy a 790i chipset especially designed for the absolute best overclocking (and priced accordingly), but then must run at stock because overclocking corrupts the HDD... You would think NVIDIA would of learned from their nForce4 and 680 drive corruption problems. Let alone that they could have figured out why and fixed it by now.

I guess that's what happens when you reuse old chipsets without fixing the bugs first. Anandtech was also mentioning these issues, and some of what settings they've observed that will cause it.
Old 19th April 2008, 11:36   #3
Madshrimp

overclocking should not be taken for granted though, they have it easy, if you run our boards beyond specs, you're on your own
Old 19th April 2008, 11:55   #4
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
overclocking should not be taken for granted though, they have it easy, if you run our boards beyond specs, you're on your own
You missed my point, my point is NVIDIA is advertising 780i and 790i as overclocking motherboards. They claim 790 was designed to be overclocked, both CPUs and is rated for memory speeds of 2,000Mhz.

Of course, should you attempt to run your memory at their claimed DDR3-2000 specifications...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandtech
This time, the data corruption problems appear contained to memory overclocking, especially on the 790i boards. We are not talking massive overclocks here, but apparently hitting the right combination of FSB rates around 400 and memory speeds above DDR3-1600 seem to trigger our problems. Also, we have been able to reach higher DDR3 speeds with absolute stability on the 790i than on the X48 during extreme overclocking, so this problem is even more perplexing to us.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_790i_ultra_sli.html
Old 19th April 2008, 12:25   #5
Madshrimp

I get your point, they are in trouble because they advertise for OC, something which is ALWAYS risky